PDA

View Full Version : Lazer thermometer

68bird
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I have a lazer type thermometer. They are said to be vaery acurate. Has anyone else ever tried one on surup? I will try it on boiling water to be sure it's right on.

jimsudz
02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I believe your going to have an issue with getting false readings because of steam.

Dennis H.
02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
The biggest problem with those types of thermometer is that they are only see the surface temp.
There can be different temps thru out a liquid or solid.

68bird
02-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Yes, There is a problem. It is telling me boiling water is onloy 200 degrees. It must be reading the steam! Thanks for the input guys! What are your thoughts on a good thermometer?

relseek
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
I was wondering about this very thing this past weekend.... Turns out that after holding the thermometer over the steam trying to get an accurate reading, moisture builds up inside of it and totally messes with the readings.... For days.

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2013, 06:33 AM
I have a lazer type thermometer.

These are actually thermal infrared thermometers. The laser is there for pointing. Like any instrument, they are subject to certain errors. The biggest one is that they only measure an incredibly thin layer of material they are pointed at, so steam can be a factor. Another factor is called "emissivity", which is related to how well the surface "emits" thermal energy. A dull-black surface has a good emissivity (close to 1.0). A mirror, or shiny SS surface, will have an emissivity that is much lower, so pointing the thermometer at the side of the evaporator will give an incorrect reading.