PDA

View Full Version : Copper Syrup Pan

sgsommers
05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Is anyone familiar with a copper syrup pan. I am looking at a used 4'x12' Leader king style drop flue evaporator with hoods and preheater with a 4'x5' copper syrup pan. The stickers on the pans say soldered with lead free solder. Currently the evaporator is fired with natural gas. Are there any pros or cons to this setup. I would probably convert back to wood because of the cost of natural gas. So I may have a couple of gas guns for sale later, don't know if there is much of a demand for them or not. 8O

Would anyone know the approx value of such a unit. It looked to be in good condition. The owner says they used it approx. 4 years then lost the woods they tapped. It has been setting idle for 2-3 years. 8)

cncaboose
05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
One of my farm clients has an evaporator with a copper syrup pan of that size and he loves it. The heat transfer is way better than stainless. It does give a different look to your evaporator though with a different color and duller finish. He got his for next nothing out of somebody's shed but you'll probably have to pay more.