PDA

View Full Version : Now What

garyp
02-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I just checked about 2 gal of syrup(put in 12oz bottles) that we did 2/17 and most have small amounts of sugar sand in them but some are clear I used 4 pre filters and a wool cone filter when I empty my pan at a boil, Then I took about 6 gals in side to finish off on stove once at 219 and when the right density was reached I put throw 4 filters and wool filter again, Than once at 190 degrees I dump into a preheated coffee urn and bottled in heated bottles.
I did about 24 bottles and only 4 are clear
Been thicken about just bottling in 1 gal bottles and let set for a week and pour off the clear syrup then heat up to 185-190 and bottle
Let me know what I can do to fix this, Thanks

psparr
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
How old is the wool filter? If you wring it out when done it will loosen the fibers and not filter right.

maple flats
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
That's also my guess, you can not wring a filter, they must be squeezed. Is this actually wool or synthetic? Most people use synthetic. A few traders use filter aid with these types of filters. To do that, just mix a cup or 2 of FA in the hot syrup, and then pour it into the filter. The FA will trap far more sugar sand than you can get with the filter alone. If it has been wrung out, toss it and get a new one, then NEVER wring it. They will last for years if put away clean, and kept dry. as long as you never wring it to dry.

garyp
02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Well I bought last year and used once and I have not squeezed the filter, what I do is turn inside out and washed then turn back out once dry
What type of filter aid do you guys use, I have read about guy using DE guessing food grade but I could be wrong??

psparr
02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Wondering if you got one that was made on a Monday. You shouldn't need filter aid for a little syrup.

garyp
02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
So your saying my filter might be no good and that the way I am filtering is ok and should not have any sugar sand when done

adk1
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
when you filter into the prefilters and wool filter what kind of stuff do you get in the filters? The only thing that I can think of is that you are reheating to high before bottling. I know that you are supposed to go up to at least 185-190 for glass but maybe try 180..I think that the nitre is precipitating back out of the syrup cause you are heating it up to high

psparr
02-20-2013, 08:35 PM
when you filter into the prefilters and wool filter what kind of stuff do you get in the filters? The only thing that I can think of is that you are reheating to high before bottling. I know that you are supposed to go up to at least 185-190 for glass but maybe try 180..I think that the nitre is precipitating back out of the syrup cause you are heating it up to high

Good point. I'd check the temp in the coffee urn. I also bottle from an urn. I finish on the stove and filter right into the urn. Have not had that issue though.

garyp
02-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Well that's what I did stove, filter, coffee urn, I asked my wife to take temp of last bottle and see said 184 and that was after about 24 bottles so maybe it was to hot
I' am confused about finishing on my stove heating up to 219 and then filtering and then bottling in urn when I have read over and over not to heat over 193 because of niter reforming. Once I have finished my syrup should I let it cool and then heat to 180-185 than bottle
And when I pour my syrup off my stove at 219 degrees it goes pretty fast and first and second cone filter are a little dirty rest not to bad

Tweegs
02-21-2013, 06:26 AM
We use the coffee urn method to bottle also. We do not, however, plug the urn in.
Heat on the stove to 190, dump into the urn, bottle like mad (no more than 1.5 gallons at a time).

That heating element in the urn gets really hot, syrup around it will heat well above 200.

psparr
02-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Put a little water in the urn and run through the brew cycle. After the light comes on if it has one, check the temp in the well (heating part) maybe it is too hot and making niter.

happy thoughts
02-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Just a thought because I don't filter- Did you calibrate your thermometer against boiling water? It may be it's off and/or the barometric pressure at the time may mean you need to change your working temps. You may be heating it to higher temps than needed. You should check it every time you use it because the air pressure changes and so will the boiling point of water and the temp needed to reach syrup stage. I'd also assume that at lower pressure niter will form at slightly lower temps. IOW- if the boiling point of water for that day is 210F then you may get niter forming near temps of 190F.

Big_Eddy
02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
If your syrup gets heated after filtering, more nitre will precipitate out. Usually later - after you've got everything nicely bottled up and put away.

Did you preheat your glass? If you put your glass in the oven and heat it over 225, when the 180 syrup hits it, it will boil on contact until the temperature equalizes. Presto - more nitre.

Is your coffee urn element exceeding 200 degrees? Doesn't matter if the thermostat cycles off and on and the average liquid temperature never exceeds 190, if the element exceeds 200 degrees, you'll get localized heating and again more nitre.

Heat to boiling on the stove, pour it through the filter - don't heat it after filtering. Work quickly and bottle it all before the temperature drops below 180.

garyp
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
OK I did a test with about 3'' of water in my urn heated until warming light came on took a temp in the heating well it read 187 than took another test 15 min later it read 185, Than boiled some water to check my temp probe it read 212
The bottles were in the sink in hot (110degree) water
I' am thinking its more the synthetic cone filter I used it once last year alone with the same problem, than bought a doz paper filters to try and now this again
So it's ok to bottle syrup at 195-200 degree as long that it's been filtered first

happy thoughts
02-21-2013, 11:29 AM
So it's ok to bottle syrup at 195-200 degree as long that it's been filtered first

If you're actually bottling that hot one thing you're going to notice is a lot of "shrinkage" in your jars when they cool. That's not a problem if you're not selling your syrup but if you are then your bottles may end up underfilled by weight and volume.

garyp
03-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Well made 2.5 gals again and more SAND, was also told only a press is the answer but not now to much $$ going to plastic jugs and going to try letting some settle in gal glass jugs to fill my glass bottles.
One thing when I pour off finished syrup(219) through 4 prefilters and synthetic filter its goes right threw like water

jputney
03-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I'll bet what is happening is that when the urn is reheating the syrup the syrup at the bottom of the urn that is in close contact with the heating element is getting too hot and then forming more sugar sand. It needs to be heated slower. I fought this for a couple years and now heat it up in a flat pan or a turkey cooker but make sure to do it very slowly.