PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Everybody??

Sugar
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
We're still making syrup....Anyone else?

afretired
02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
We have already quit. The sap is low in sugar and it is cloudy. I doubt, if you could get it boiled down, it would taste alright. How is your's turning out?

David

Sugar
02-21-2013, 10:43 PM
We have already quit. The sap is low in sugar and it is cloudy. I doubt, if you could get it boiled down, it would taste alright. How is your's turning out?

David

We are still collecting and the syrup hasn't darkened, like it did the end of the last season. We have lots of freezing nights coming up....

Sugar
02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
The Mennonites are still boiling away here too...

TerryEspo
02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
I am still shovelling snow,,,4-5 Ft, in the yard.

Never even tapped, darn Northern weather.

Hope all that are tapping have a great season.

Terry

Sugar
02-22-2013, 08:16 AM
I am still shovelling snow,,,4-5 Ft, in the yard.

Never even tapped, darn Northern weather.

Hope all that are tapping have a great season.

Terry

Is it too late? Maybe you will still have time! That's sad! I've never seen that much snow, but my chicks dream of it, pray for it!

nace
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
i've been too busy to update lately but i've been boiling since saturday 16 feb. i've had to correct problems on the fly because i couldn't test the evaporator due to my late start. in the past 5 weeks i've built a 10'x12' sugar shack and had to carry all the building material 200' down in the woods, ran 2200' of tubing, installed around 160 tap's (only 'cause i didn't buy enough tubing to tap them all), patched up some air leaks in my firebox, finally went to a leaf blower for forced air (think you used a little too much dynamite there butch?)-(butch cassady and the sundance kid)and trying to cut wood and keep up with sap flow. not to mention the turmoil at work "but were still a liv'in so everything's OK" - (hank sr.) syrup is dark but goooood. most folks in ky only understand dark syrup anyway and many only want grade B because they think it's healthier. i'll be shoping for a real evaporator later this year and trying to lease a sugarbush or few. other than that, i cant think of a more difficult or expensive way to do it. may your sap over flow like mine did sunday.