PDA

View Full Version : what type of handles for steam pans

lisound
02-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Do they need to be stainless? Galvanic corrosion issues if they are dissimilar metals?

Cause the ss handles are not cheap

valleyman
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I used galvanized without issue for a few years now.

spencer11
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I just put regular eye bolts through the lip, regular steel not stainless, they were big enough somimcould take the pan off when it had sap In it with gloves on. And was really cheap

lisound
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Valleyman, how do you keep those pans so clean during a boil?

valleyman
02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
I run the sap as deep as possible until I only have the front pan full of concentrated sap. Then I let that get down about halfway (2 1/2gal). Time wood loading so the fire is not ranging towards the end. Then I either pull the pan very carefully ( because if not ashes will be in you syrup in no time) or I scoop out usually leaving some in there as to not scorch the pan before filling with water.

I like pulling the pan off after the fire settles the best so far. I boiled 2x this past weekend and on Sunday I only had around 25 gallons to boil down. I created my usual gradient in the pans but when I had 2 pans remaining with concentrate, I mixed them so both were even and when they got halfway down I let the fire die and poured off each. Because of more surface area (2pans instead of my usual 1) the quality of the final syrup seemed better than Saturdays boil.

Also, I know they're expensive for us backyarders, but I invested in a flat bottom syrup scoop and it was well worth it for the simple reason that you can lift almost all the sap out of the pans as they boil down with minimal loss before filling with water.

Longwinded I know, but one more thing. With "real evaporators" the rear pan is the hottest. With mine the two front pans are the hottest, with the 2nd pan from the front being the hottest. Because every time I open the door to add wood it cools the front pan down slightly. So my setup works best with adding fresh sap in the rear pan and moving it up to the front to create the gradient.

Tom59
02-20-2013, 09:00 PM
lisound check out this thread

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?15888-how-does-one-dismount-a-hot-steam-table-pan/page2&highlight=Steam+pan+handles

lisound
02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks. Saw tHat post and thats where I got the idea from.
Picked some cheap bar pulls at he today. Constructing arch tonight. Test run tomorrow.
I did get all mu supplies delivered today as well as 30 more taps....out of my mind.

Any idea where I can source drop line 5/16 from tap to bucket

Thanks

spencer11
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Bascoms, the maple guys(the sponsor of this site) probably a place closer to you, shipping gets expensive for lateral line

lisound
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
I just got my order for bascoms. And didn't want to buy a 500ft roll. Thought maybe hd or lowes?

lisound
02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
called around and Benedict's home and garden in Monroe has some. Good to know they carry maple supplies and they are just down the road from me. too bad I didn't think of that sooner.

spencer11
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
You will want at least a roll of lateral line, it doesn't go as far as you would think

lisound
02-23-2013, 03:52 AM
well, I now have enough for the season...I think :)

i did a test boil tonight. not the best first try. but after moving things around, much better.
I now realize i need to brace the pans on all sides or they bow a bit. Creating gaps for smoke etc to get through.
what do you all use for gasket around the pans?