PDA

View Full Version : Transfer pump?

marktripp
02-20-2013, 05:03 AM
What kind of pump can I use to pump off the sap I bring back in my 35gallon cans?

5050racing
02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
I use a rule 800 gallon per hour bilge pump,works good for me.I put a 12' piece of 1/2" mainline on it and when I'm done I coil it in a empty 30 gallonbarrel and off to the next drum to pump it,then pump it into my drums packed in the snow.

marktripp
02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Is that a sap specific pump? Or will any pump work?

325abn
02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
I also have a Rule bilge pump actually have two. Yes they where purchased new and only used for sap and they work great.

I am in the market for another sap transfer pump this year with more head.

marktripp
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
I also have a Rule bilge pump actually have two. Yes they where purchased new and only used for sap and they work great.

I am in the market for another sap transfer pump this year with more head.

So it's a regular pump that is dedicated for sap. It's not an actual sap specific product?

boondocker
02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
No they are bildge pumps for boats but the impellers on them are stainless and the cases are plastic. Thats what i used in the past but i know have a gas powered 1587 gph pump i use.

Ausable
02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Mark - My Sugar Shack kinda flooded yesterday - so I was checking it today and it is now ok. ----While there - I spotted the box my pump came in up on a shelf and remembered Your Post. My Pump is a Wayne Utility Pump - code (RUP160) - 1/6 HP Electric - 3000 gph - Oil-Free Submersible. Paid $65.00 for it 3 years ago and have used it for two Seasons. I use it to transfer sap and also to keep my Feed Tank full when boiling. It will pump a barrel down to about 3/8 of an inch when sitting flat. Oh! It also came with a 3/4" hose adapter which I use all the time - bought a 12' Garden Hose to go with it. I use it just for sap and if this one would conk out - I would not hesitate to buy another just like it. LOL -- and No - I didn't use the pump to dry up my Shack. ------Mike-------

adk1
02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I am looking to buy a gas powered transfer pump..just to pump out 55 gallon barrels and to pump them into my big tank. Looking at the snamm Red Lion pump in TSC..6 reviews and they are all really bad reviews..

heus
02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Not sure if TSC still sells it but I am on my 4th season with the Mitsubishi powered 1" pump that I purchased there. It has done well for me. More expensive than the Red Lion pump though.

weekendboiler
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Has anyone used any pumps that harbor freight sells? Looking at a new pump and 2" gas powered pump is 190! Thats too cheap what am I not seeing?

hgjobe
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I purchased a DC pump from HF and connected it to my Kubota 900. It transfers sap from my 35 gallon collection tanks to the 70 gallon tank in the back of the Kubota. It works fine for my setup.

adk1
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
yeah been looking for that one..by buddy has it and I cant find it!

bairdswift
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
I just bought a 1in 4 stroke (78cc) pump from www.vpowerequipment.com $107 at my door. Have not ran it yet because I Need some hose. Talk with the guy on the phone seems nice enough. Will let you know how it works. Check him out

bowtie
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
i purchased a wayne ss sprinkler pump, it can used for potable water. i did not find a pump just made for sap transfer. if you would would not use it for drinking water i would not use it. i use pex tubing for my hoses, do not have main-line tubing to use, garden hoses should not be used unless they are made for potable water(rv). it says right on most the labels that they should not be used for drinking water or food products. the wayne pump is rated for 720 gph and cost about $125 on amazon. no sense spending money on food grade materials if you run sap through a pump that could introduce grease or other chemicals.

adk1
02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
bowtie that is a 120V pump right? Would like gas powered

johnallin
02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Mark, I (and lots of others) use a Honda Powermate 1 HP Water Pump. It does a great job and is rated for up to 30 gallons per minute. It empties my 35 gal tanks in about 2 minutes each with a 10' lift up to the sap tank in the sugar house.

Mine was more than what's listed now at Home Depot, it came with 2 hoses, fittings and has a different base. But $347 with free shipping is a great deal. Also, the impeller and pump housing is all aluminum - just like all the filter presses - and it breaks down easily for cleaning. Link is here:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202515777&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202515777&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5 f%2d202515777&ci_gpa=pla

Good luck in your search.

adk1
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
that is what I would like, just cant afford $350 for one..Might have to go the $100 120V one for this year

lastwoodsman
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
ADK1 I bought one of these. Although the catch is I haven't used it yet. Sitting in the shack waiting for sap. We will see how it works.
Woodsman
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-clear-water-pump-with-79cc-ohv-gas-engine-69747-8849.html

bairdswift
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
same one i bought from v power for $89 (107 at door) mine is a Reconditioned Store Return but looks 100%. came in original box guys said he ran it the day he sent it out. Impeller material is aluminum alloy is that ok?

Father & Son
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Try www.waterpumpsdirect.com. I bought a 1" gas powered pump there 2 years ago and it works fine. Looks just like the 1" tanaka I have. There price right now is 169.99 free shipping.

Jim

Snowy Pass Maple
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm not looking to start another food-safe battle... have read plenty of that in the Orange Homer Bucket / Trashcan threads :-)

I'm just interesting in knowing if anyone has confirmed certain sump or bilge pumps with manufacturers as appropriate for food use, or even potable water? While I realize that in general the materials on some of these seem fairly inert and are probably safe, it would be nice to see a manufacturer back that with a statement.

The best < $100 option I came up with for a pump that is clearly used in food applications was from Aquatec - still only 5GPM open flow, but lots of power options including 12V which allows some remote use capability as long as you are on a vehicle or can supply a deep cycle battery.

The price/performance on a some of the electric sump/bilge pumps are fantastic if any manufacturer has certified such a design for food/potable use. A 12V bilge-style pump is simple, lightweight, low power, and would be really nice for remote use as well.

bowtie
02-21-2013, 08:30 AM
adk, yeah it's 120v, i thought about gas powered but settled on electric one becuase i have acess to electricity after i gatherand at "shack".
i checked through the Q and A about the wayne pump and in it i read that it is rated for potable water, the answer came from what appeared to be a wayne employee so i took it for fact.
i have been looking at the portable drill pumps for some taps that i would like to put out that are a fair hike from the rest of mine. thought i might get some food-grade 15-20 gallons plastic barrels and tube in to them then use pump to transfer into smaller, more manageable buckets for carrying back to tank, seems like alot of work but ther are some nice hard maples in a little grove that get alot of sun and are not canopied as they are in heavy brush. only found them becuase it is one of my treestand sites, actually usually let my father-in-law hunt that spot one of his favorite spots. by the way how did any of you guys do this season ? pics,kills, sightings. always interested to find out. i am a big qdm guy and like to find out how others did.

David in MI
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I just picked up a small pump (food grade) that will handle about 3-4 gallons/minute for about $70. I'm planning on using to to pump from my dump tank behind my gator into the 55 gallon barrels in the bed. I haven't used it yet but can post a quick review once I do.

Link: http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html

Snowy Pass Maple
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I just picked up a small pump (food grade) that will handle about 3-4 gallons/minute for about $70. I'm planning on using to to pump from my dump tank behind my gator into the 55 gallon barrels in the bed. I haven't used it yet but can post a quick review once I do.

Link: http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html

Interesting find - seems like a lot of threads lately mining the beer and wine world :-) This looks like a nice compact unit - only concern I see that may impact some people is that I'm guessing it's not self-priming? (has to be below liquid level to start?) This could be an issue if you want to draw out the top of a 55 gal drum.

The diaphragm styles (like aquatec) can self-prime upward 6-12 feet depending on the model, but they are a bit bulkier and a can get a bit more expensive than this model.

David in MI
02-24-2013, 07:15 AM
You are correct, this pump is definitely not self-priming. Since many will not see this thread, I'll try to start a new one this afternoon with a review. I'm very happy with this little pump.

Interesting find - seems like a lot of threads lately mining the beer and wine world :-) This looks like a nice compact unit - only concern I see that may impact some people is that I'm guessing it's not self-priming? (has to be below liquid level to start?) This could be an issue if you want to draw out the top of a 55 gal drum.

The diaphragm styles (like aquatec) can self-prime upward 6-12 feet depending on the model, but they are a bit bulkier and a can get a bit more expensive than this model.

Dill
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Try www.waterpumpsdirect.com. I bought a 1" gas powered pump there 2 years ago and it works fine. Looks just like the 1" tanaka I have. There price right now is 169.99 free shipping.

Jim
I was just about to post that site. I bought a pump from them 3 years ago, for a 100 less than TSC. Website looks a like sketchy but it works fine. Quick shipping too.