PDA

View Full Version : Change the design of the tip on checkvalve spouts.

Justin Turco
02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
I think the profile of the tip of the check valve spouts that leader makes should be the same as the old tree saver spouts without a checkvalve.

3 ribs to hold it in place and "fluted" where it inserts into the taphole which might allow better flow in the area that surrounds the spout tip.

I bet they flow better.

I suspect a non fluted tap (even though it IS tapered) blocks off the many of the veins that carry the sap which you just exposed when you drilled your tap hole.

Also...stupid question of the day. (At least for a guy who's been at it for a while.) Is the majority of the sap flow just beneath the bark or is it fairly uniform throughout the depth of the hole?

happy thoughts
02-20-2013, 07:01 AM
I think the profile of the tip of the check valve spouts that leader makes should be the same as the old tree saver spouts without a checkvalve.

Is the majority of the sap flow just beneath the bark or is it fairly uniform throughout the depth of the hole?

The sap containing the sugars this time of year doesn't come from the layer directly under the bark but from a little deeper layer called the xylem or sapwood. My understanding is that the xylem in maples can be quite thick, 4-5 inches or more. I have read studies where this layer has been drilled deeply and sap yields are extremely productive but the trade off is much, much, more damage to the tree. I believe this is why the modern recommendations are smaller diameter taps and shallower drilling then done in the past. It's all about tree health. You want to take good care of the golden goose :)

TunbridgeDave
02-20-2013, 07:12 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the vacuume will actually suck sap from an area 16 inches in diameter around the tap hole, so I wonder if the flutes are a big deal, but it's sounds logical.