PDA

View Full Version : Is selling it legal

cmstearns
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
hi me and the boy have been making syrup for two years with this year being our 3rd. this is my question, can i sell it to friends and family. just looking to help cover the cost. thanks.

western mainer
02-19-2013, 03:57 PM
To sell you need to be licensed and go by the guide lines. Go here it's $2.00 For 15 gallons or less.
http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/qar/qarforms/FoodandFuel-licenseapplication-2008.pdf
http://www.mainemapleproducers.com/licensing-regulations-for-maple-syrup-processing.pdf

Brian

325abn
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
You can sell what ever you want to family and friends.

abbott
02-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Technically you should have the license. It's quick and easy to fill out the form. They might inspect, but in my experience they don't very often and the inspection is pretty simple. That being said, nobody is likely to worry about you selling to family and friends, so it's your call.

gmcooper
02-22-2013, 07:53 PM
As posted in 2 of the above posts you do need to be licensed in order to sell to anyone. It is not all that difficult.

Here is the link for the license app. http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/qar/qarforms/FoodandFuel-licenseapplication-2008.pdf

325abn
02-22-2013, 08:27 PM
License??

We don't need no stinking license!!

:)

CPlace
02-23-2013, 06:15 AM
I will be able to tell you how easy/difficult the application/inspection process is in a couple of weeks; the Dept. of Ag. is coming to inspect my facility on 3/6!! Based upon what Ive been told, I was more likely to receive a license prior to ever being inspected. However, Im looking forward to this so I can ensure Im producing a quality and safe product. Since I will only producing syrup and selling from my sugarhouse, the requirements for a processors license seem fairly simple and reasonable: clean premises, roof over evaporator, smoke stack to prevent ashes and smoke from contaminating the syrup, clean utensils, protected lightbulbs, foodgrade equipment/tanks, proper labeling, etc. Ive also been told to never fill anyone's used syrup bottle, because it could just be the state inspector asking for a refill!

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-23-2013, 06:50 AM
nothing is illegal until you get caught :lol:

325abn
02-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Cplace did you ask for the state to come and inspect your place?

If not it seems kinda intrusive and a waist of state resouces to me anyway. I mean you only have 150 taps! Thats just crazy.

Yeah what Flat Lander said! :)

gmcooper
02-23-2013, 08:24 AM
325abn
In the state of Maine and most other states Including I believe your state of New Hampshire you need to be licensed to manufacture and sell food products. Making maple syrup is a food product and food safety is very important. Getting a license is not a big deal. The state inspectors usually visit all new license applications as well as some renewals eaxh year. The requirements are not that difficult to meet and from most applicants the biggest thing I hear is they had to make a few minor changes such as using protected light fixtures to prevent a bulb from breaking and landing in syrup.

To be quite honest most of the producers that need to make minor changes are the small producers and that is usually because they are starting out and may not understand all the requirements.

boondocker
02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
I attended the MMPA annual meeting at the civic center this past january and listened to all the new rules and regulations for becoming a licensed sugar house but the one thing that made absolutly no sence was having to get another license to do farmers markets! Really? Wow this state is going crazy!! Money grubbers!

CPlace
02-23-2013, 12:21 PM
325abn,

I didnt anything other than apply for a processors license. My goal is to produce 30 gallons this year and I want to sell some so I applied to just to be in compliance.

325abn
02-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Who voted for all these new rules?

What classifies one as a "producer"? I am sure there are thousands of people in the country that boil Maple and Birch sap for thier own use. By "own use" I mean for thier table as well as thier friends and Family and I am sure cash changes hands. We all know the cost of sappin!! Do we make all these folks registar, get a license to submitt to inspection by the state?

I think we may be making rouge maple syrup makers just as the moonshiners of the south!! :) :)

As I have said mentioned before what then about the 1000s of galons of cider that is made often times by the same folks aho make sugar??

Greenwich Maple Man
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
The age old story of one bad guy ruins it for everybody else.

325abn
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
What do you mean?

gmcooper
02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Who voted for all these new rules?

What classifies one as a "producer"? I am sure there are thousands of people in the country that boil Maple and Birch sap for thier own use. By "own use" I mean for thier table as well as thier friends and Family and I am sure cash changes hands. We all know the cost of sappin!! Do we make all these folks registar, get a license to submitt to inspection by the state?

I think we may be making rouge maple syrup makers just as the moonshiners of the south!! :) :)

As I have said mentioned before what then about the 1000s of galons of cider that is made often times by the same folks aho make sugar??

In many cases these "new rules" have been in place for many years. I would guess that most states the legislature or dept of Ag put them in place.

I do not know how many people only produce syrup for thier own use, I'm sure there are plenty. Unfortunately some of them do not make very good syrup and in a few cases make some very unsafe for consumption. So because of some of this there are rules and regulations on producing maple syrup for sale. It was one producers poor judgement that got us on the radar for the whole lead issue.

From the apple growers I know to make cider they have to be licensed and inspected to sell. Then they have the issue of pasturization.

325abn
02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I believe there is something to be said of tradition. Thats not to say the all things traditional are "good" .

I mean I have never, never heard of anybody getting sick from eating maple syrup! On the other hand I have seen/ heard of hundreds if not thousands upon thousands of Americans getting sick and even dieing from something purchased at the local grocery store. IE: Everything from USDA inspected hamburg to USDA inspected leafy greens to USDA penuts and it goes on and on. See the pattern and my point?

I think as free thinking free men we have certain choices to make when it comes to what we conmsume and let our children comsume. On the cider point I have know many people with orchards that make cider without pasturizing it just as some choose to avail raw milk to family and friends. It really is our choice! :)

Still wondering what Greenwich maple man means.

jaaon
02-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't think anyone should give in to getting a license there has never bin a reported case of anyone getting sick from maple protucts the only reason they are doing this is fore the money an to see how many producers there are if they see that that everyone is giving in the next thing is the goverment is going to get there hands in it an start taxing everything an then no one will be able to afford to do it

PerryW
02-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I have heard that Maine requires a license but I'm in NH and been making syrup here all my life and never heard of any license required. I've also sold bulk syrup to Bascoms and they have never asked me for any license.

gmcooper
02-23-2013, 10:43 PM
I have never been a big fan of government regulation and have to deal with rules and regulations every day at work that make no sense what so ever.

I do believe that one of the VT dept of Ag people got very sick tasting a sample of syrup several years ago and was hospitalized for it.

newman_maple
02-23-2013, 11:48 PM
I had a voluntary inspection done a few years ago and he told me the primary thing he looked for was the possibility of lead contamination. He looked at my old buckets and my pan. He also bought a jug and had it sampled for me.

The licensing thing would upset me if it gets to that here. I am not sure I would continue making it to sell.

325abn
02-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Newman; What was the outcome of the test?

newman_maple
02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I didn't get a breakdown of what is in it; I just got a confirmation from him that it was not contaminated in any way.

davrhods
02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
After getting licsensed would you need to get peddlers & hawkers permit or some other permit to sell on premisis ?

western mainer
02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
You can not sell out of your sugar house because that would fall under a retail store. You can have another room and get licensed to do so. It's not hard to do. We have a venders license. When they come to inspect have a list of ? for them. Lets put it this way the person that came to inspect us was very happy to just see a roof over the evaporator. The big thing is to have light bulb covered.
Brian

325abn
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Ok I have to ask. Why do the light bulbs need to be covered?

shane hickey
02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
So glass doesnt break and go into the evaporator or cannrr or anywhere else there's sap or syrup. You can buy tuff nut bulbs which dont have to be covered and they wont shatter when they break

justlookingon
02-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you'll have to have your water tested and it must pass to get your ME license. Got my $2 license last year for the first time so had the inspection done. The inspector was very reasonable and helpful, willing to answer any questions that we had. He was impressed that we had a cement floor in our little sugarhouse which measures about 12x16! I don't know what else he looked at, maybe asked about a grading kit which we had. Asked what temp we bottled at too! We did find the application a bit confusing, but this year we sent it in and got the license right back without issue!

PS-He also tested our scales which we weigh vegetables with in the summer and tagged them for $5. We were selling bread along with our summer vegetables-had to have a kitchen license ($20) and because we attended a farmer's market, a mobile license (another $20)...we are giving them up this year!

shane hickey
02-24-2013, 07:27 PM
These bulbs are also approved by the fda

325abn
02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Really about the bulbs? So they don't brake and get glass in the syrup? Thats bizare to say the very least. I dont think that I have ever seen a broken light bulb in a sugar shack and I have been to a few. Aren't most light bulb covers made from glass? What if the cover brakes and falls into the pan!! The things our goverment has to protect us from is amazing.

abbott
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Water test is not req'd in Maine for the syrup license... or else i'd fail and not have my license :( My understanding (per the inspector) is that you do not need any additional licensing to sell at the sugar house or to sell wholesale. I do have a mobile vendor's license so that I can sell at Farmers' Markets.

I would concede that it is very possible that different inspectors would tell you different things.

CPlace
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
At the Maine Ag Show, the inspectors said you only need a water test if your selling value added products, not for syrup processing.

davrhods
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Water test required if you are on well water.

Sandy
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
We have found each town or city to have different regulations on needing peddlers lic to sell on your property. - we asked our town clerk who to talk to. If selling on your premises, ask your insurance agent about liability coverage. It's why we deliver our product locally for free! Also, water test IS required in Maine if selling syrup and your production facility is on a private well. (Water is used to clean all equipment, so must pass the test for bacteria and nitrites. Test is $30/year, and if you are selling, well worth the liability.) To apply for the license, you must send acopy of a water test (again, only if on well-water) done within 12 months. You CAN ask for consideration if you use bottled water to clean equipment, we did out first year using "poland Springs" water and it passed the inspector's requirement for us to get the dept of agriculture license. Hope this helps, good luck!

FordHeritageFarm
02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
The Dept. of Agriculture told me last week also that no water test was required for selling just syrup.

abbott
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Despite all of the claims that no water test is req'd (including) my own claim, the guidelines state that it is for private wells. Go here: http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/qar/food-regs.html and click on "Ch. 347 Maple Syrup Processing"

Some other interesting tidbits from that document: Pipeline must be cleaned with 5% chlorine solution after any production stoppage (don't know what pipeline that includes) and personnel suffering from communicable diseases cannot be employed in the establishment.

Now all of that aside, in practice I simply send in my renewal with "private dug well" checked and N/A in the box for water test included. The state takes my money and sends my license.

CPlace
02-28-2013, 07:27 PM
The State is behind on updating their website. I received an email from MMPA on January 23rd with the amended Licensing and Regulations for Processiong Maple Syrup which states the following:

5. Sanitary Facilities and Controls

A. The water supply shall be ample for all operations and shall be obtained from a potable public or private supply. Private water supplies shall be tested yearly. (Note: if you are making syrup and bottling hot of the evaporator only and are using just hot water off your evaporator for cleaning you do not need to perform the annual water test.)

As stated at the Maine Ag Show, a water test is only required when producers further refine their maple syrup. I am having my facility inspected on 3/6, and Im glad I have a copy of the new regulation because I did not have a water test completed.

325abn
02-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Small producers are going to have to hire a guy to make sure they stay in compliance. :)

happy thoughts
02-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Small producers are going to have to hire a guy to make sure they stay in compliance. :)

Unfortunately that may be the case soon if not already. You practically need a college degree these days to be a farmer to keep up with the regs for animal waste, land use, weed and pest control and water quality should god forbid you live near any kind of small stream or waterway. It's no wonder family farms are all but extinct. It's all about big agribusiness and corporations, the only ones who can afford to keep up with it all and buy their way out of it.

Revi
03-01-2013, 07:24 AM
You need a license and a water test unless you use town water.

CPlace
03-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Just passed my state inspection! No water test was required and Im on a private well. Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion surrounding the water test requirement.

mapleguy
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Since it seems everyone is trying to comply with the FDA I am curious ,since many have RO,s has anyone contacted the EPA to see if there is a proper way to dispose of the permeate. I was told dumping on the ground or running into a stream should be fround upon. I have asked this on another site also and am interested in any response thanks

FordHeritageFarm
03-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Just to confirm what cplace said, I passed my inspection, got my license and no water test was required. I am on a private well also.

abbott
03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Just to confirm what cplace said, I passed my inspection, got my license and no water test was required. I am on a private well also.

So, is that hay wagon I see now a licensed maple syrup processing facility?

FordHeritageFarm
03-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Yep,By all the legal laws of the land!

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-14-2013, 08:18 AM
We were inspected on Monday, with no issues, we now possess a temp. license! With Maple Sunday fast approaching I was getting nervous, without having a license I would'nt have been able to sell on that day. As far as the water test, I had a current water analysis on me but it was'nt needed. Now let's see if Mother Nature will coperate a give us some good sap runs!

Best to all,

Shawn