PDA

View Full Version : Central Vt , looking good for next week for Buckets ?

smokeyamber
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Bucket folks, looking good for next week ? I plan to tap this week/weekend. Lots left to do to be ready, but I have plenty of storage :D Opinions ?

RiverValleySugarhouse
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm mostly tapped out. It ran a few days last week. My uncle and cuz made about 20gals over the weekend. The end of the week is looking good and the first part of next week. If it's going to be like last year I want to be ready. Hoping to be boiling this weekend. I think it's time even for a normal seaon. March is only a week and a half away.. Good luck guys

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
im tapping saturday

silveradomaple
02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
yep....I agree. the weather reports look good for the next few days. Gonna be pulling the trigger on the drill over the next couple days.

smokeyamber
02-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Ok, sounds like I am a go ! Drill is out and my test tree was running yesterday so time to clean the pans and barrels ! This year will be the first one where I won't be building an arch while collecting sap ;)

Good luck to everyone this season, so far it looks like a MUCH better one than last year ! :D

Tucker08
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
i am going all in tomorrow. buckets and finishing up the lines. Looking at the extended forecast, they are revising it down for next week, so perhaps mother nature will make it so i am ahead of the game.

steve J
02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Unless things change in my schdule I will not be able to tap until next weekend but no matter what happens anything will be better than last season .

smokeyamber
02-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Hey Steve, I hear you on that, at least we have snow this year ! Forecast changed to a bit colder so looks like you will not miss much. I still have tanks to clean and lines to flush, but at least the buckets mostly in...

You get your lines back up this year ?

Unless things change in my schdule I will not be able to tap until next weekend but no matter what happens anything will be better than last season .

steve J
02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes I reworked the upper part of the hill last fall and the last time I was up there two weeks ago everything was in one piece with no lines down or compromised by limbs. I am headed up tomorrow to tap and get my rig in place and leveled. I will still have 50 on buckets and I hope next year to have most of that on lines.

smokeyamber
03-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Collected last night in the dark with a headlamp, dripping nicely on some trees, not a full run, but around 15 gallons. Getting into the groove of collecting. It's a start and still have some more trees to tap when I can get to them in the daylight. More prep this weekend and maybe a boil if I get some more sap. Next week is looking excellent, but then this week was supposed to be warmer than it turned out. Either way this nice slow ease into the season is sooo much nicer than last year with the 80deg blast.:D

Hope everyone on buckets is enjoying the sweet sound of sap tapping into them ;)

bairdswift
03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Gathered 100 gal of sap at 3:00 from the pipeline in west Fairlee yesterday.tested 2%.was able to run it all through the arch last night. Have another 70 gal in the tank to collect this afternoon.running slightly 33 deg outside.looks like I will be boiling again tonight.hopefull will be able to draw some off but after that first 100 gal the pan did not look all that sweet.

steve J
03-02-2013, 06:29 AM
...tapped all my lines yesterday and half my buckets lower lines were running along with buckets upper hill not running. Today finish tapping buckets move evaporaor in place and set up pump.