PDA

View Full Version : Big Run First Week, 220 Maple

220 maple
02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Our first week produced over half the amount of sap that we boiled in 5 weeks last year, and we are well past the halfway total for syrup produced last year.
Sugar content tests much better than last year, some of this is due to the fact that some of my trees have been idle for four years. The idle trees are at 2.3 % the trees on high vacuum and have been tapped every year since we put them on high vac. are at 1.9%. Four more weeks like last week and happy days are here again!

Mark 220 Maple

bismarckmaple
02-28-2013, 06:40 PM
we tapped the 10th and had a big run that week to but since then its been pretty slow, it has been to cold for anything to run. might be perfect weather for you down there

220 maple
03-01-2013, 06:01 AM
bismarckmaple,
Yes, it's been almost perfect sugaring weather. Freezes for two day then thaws for two, the only complaint that I have is the lack of moisture.

Mark

220 maple
03-15-2013, 04:42 AM
And the season rolls on and on and on! When the final numbers are tallyed we may have broke our previous record by 100 gallons. That may be wishful thinking, but with the freezes we keep getting it is possible. Hope everyone has a season like this, if not this year then sometime in the future. Made first batch of candy last night.
Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out? We had pulled 13 batches off the evaporator before we got some light syrup, never had that happen before. Usually we make our lighter grades first, this year it went to dark amber and came back and gave us 50 gallons of syrup to make candy. I looked to the heavens and said thanks.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-19-2013, 04:16 PM
I heard a crazy rumor? The rumor is that some large mapling concern has leased 700 acres near Job, WV (pronounced Jobe) They are hauling the collected sap somewhere north to be processed? With the price of fuel this rumor makes no sense at all! If this is true they would be RO-ing the sap before transporting and most certainly be using refridgerated tankers? Someone with deep pockets, I will keep investigating this rumor.

Mark 220 Maple

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Mark,

Are you still going? I was up at Henry's on wed and he was boiling for only the third time and was drawing off about 30 to 35 gph.

What's your update?

220 maple
03-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Brandon,
Making Grade B for sure, Many of my taps have shutdown, because I basically do all the tapping, I have some fresh tapholes that are really producing off the recent snows and freezing temps.

Mark220 Mapl

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Henry told me your cousin started a 2700 tap operation and was having a lot of problems. How much syrup have you made?

220 maple
03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Brandon,
My cousin has had many first season problems, I talked to him last night, he has made 18 barrels, he has had releaser, filter press and evaporator issues, he seems to be taking it in stride, basically saying he's got alot to learn. He has good elevation at his location and will probably make syrup for another week. He should of made a half a gallon of syrup to the taphole. I'm disappointed for him, he was only hoping for a quart per tap. That is why he is very upbeat about his season!

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
04-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Will sell more syrup bulk this year than made last year! And if you have followed some earlier posts I was hoping to break our camp record by 100 gallons, we are at 105 gallons more and still have 15 gallons of commercial to finish if it will finish? I kept telling the other producers near me that we was in the Maple Belt this year. They all had record seasons.

Mark 220 Maple