PDA

View Full Version : LR Pump Cooling Line

Amber Gold
02-19-2013, 11:11 AM
My current setup is a liquid ring pump with a 5/16" tubing line running to the pond about 20' away for cooling water. I want to relocate the pump to where the tank/releaser are, but it'd mean a 50'+ cooling line into a different pond, plus sucking the water up say 6' in elevation difference. Think it'll work for this year? I'm trying to get electricy down there for early March so I can utilize it this season.

I need to dig a test pit, but I think groundwater isn't too deep here...close to the ground surface during the spring. I think for next year, I'll take a 4' length of 12" perforated pipe and put it in the ground near where the pump will be. The pump just have to suck all of it's water from the pipe and I could eliminate the tank it sits on now with a backup supply of water. It'd allow me to build a smaller, less conspicous, releaser/pump room at the sap storage tank...just enough room for the LR pump, releaser, sap pump and heater. I'd think a 1/2" cooling line pumping a few feet will never freeze while the pump's running. Thoughts??

GeneralStark
02-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I assume the pump will be in a heated space, so you could add a small head tank to gravity feed the pump with water from the spring and use a small pump to feed the head tank. If you plumb the outflow from the pump to the head tank, and use a float switch on the water supply pump, and have a drain from the top of the head tank, fresh water will be added to the head tank as the level drops due to evap.

danno
02-19-2013, 03:50 PM
"50'+ cooling line into a different pond, plus sucking the water up say 6' in elevation difference."

This is the set up I have with no problems for the LR. I also have a head tank filled with water. If the 5/16" from the creek is frozen, the pump still draws from the head tank. All the water exhausts back into the head. Because this includes the water from the creek, there is an an overflow pipe in the head tank that dumps the water on the ground once the head tank begins to overflow.

Amber Gold
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Stark, the room will be heated. The downside to your idea is there isn't a constant supply of cold water that the pump needs.

Danno, youre setup is what I have now. Since I'm moving the pump, the water will be sucking water from a different pond, and it'll be ~50' away instead of maybe 20'. I wasn't sure how well the 5/16" cooling line would still work drawing water that distance. This pond is also about 6' lower in elevation than where the pump would be.

Next year's plan is to draw groundwater right next to where the pump is...thought is to eliminate the head tank to conserve space and keep all the dampness out of the pump/releaser shed.