PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Markets ???

garyp
02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Any body selling at markets, Just wondering what sells best like glass or plastic ,or nips or fancy glass
Just trying to get a heads up on what might sells better then others. Thanks

firetech
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
We sold at 2 weekly markets last year. I find that glass does better than plastic but we always have some plastic with us. 8oz,12oz and 500ml flat ovals quart decanturs style are the lead sellers. Some candy is always nice to have. Sample ,Sample Sample and we had lite and dark syrup to offer be nice good luck

325abn
02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
A few years ago when I sold at the Farmers Market I put the syrup in a mason jar with a nice piece of maple leaf cloth draped over the top and tied with a piece of jute. The folks loved it and it went fast. Think I got like $8 - $9/pint.

SevenCreeksSap
02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
I like the idea of mason jars for a farmers market/flea market type of sales. Maple cloth on the lid is a great idea. do mason jars seal right because of the rubber gasket? I'm assuming bottling hot like usual and turning on the side to kill bacteria in the airspace. Or could you bottle cold and do a water bath canning like some foods?
I've been meaning to learn how to can food.

lpakiz
02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Either way works. I have canned plenty of mason jars in a water bath canner. Don't fill the jars too full, because the syrup expands a lot more than you would think. I use a $17 Taylor thermometer that has a probe on a wire about 2feet long. Place the probe in one of the cold jars of syrup and set alarm to 175 or so. When the alarm goes off, stay right there til it hits 185 to188. This is the time to top off the jars if you feel they are not full enough. When it hits 188, Turn off the heat, remove the jars and cap with boiled lids. Lay on their sides for a bit and you are done.

325abn
02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I bottled at 180 and yes layed them on thier side. They really did look nice with the cloth and natual jute. Really added to my table prsentation with all my nice veggies. Boy that is a hard dollar to earn but enjoyed it big time!