PDA

View Full Version : How to measure vacuum?

David in MI
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I have a hair under 300 taps on gravity lines (5/16) and am wondering how effective they are. Is there a good way for me to measure the vacuum pressure I'm getting from my lines? I would also need a recommendation for the actual instrument used. Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before; I couldn't find it using the search feature.

I would also like a good way to measure the vertical distance (head?) from the uppermost tap to the collection tank. I have a GPS for my car. Would this be effective or is it not precise enough? (assuming it has an altitude feature)

Thanks!

TunbridgeDave
02-18-2013, 03:36 PM
I use an old Dairy vac gauge, but I think you can find one cheap online. The second part is easy. Use google earth.

Starting Small
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Do you have all of your taps going to a larger mainline or are they all on 5/16? How has your flow been?
-Dave

The Sweet Spot
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
If you look in the GPS'ing for elevation you will find some good information. A GPS might not give you an accurate elevation. I had to research my elevation on line through topographic maps. It will show you a decent idea of where your lines are. They did not have my lines right but very close and the elevation should be correct. Where are you in Michigan David?

David in MI
02-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Do you have all of your taps going to a larger mainline or are they all on 5/16? How has your flow been?
-Dave

I have a bunch of runs of around 25-35 per run, no mainlines. No flow yet; I think we'll be tapping this weekend.

David in MI
02-18-2013, 10:05 PM
If you look in the GPS'ing for elevation you will find some good information. A GPS might not give you an accurate elevation. I had to research my elevation on line through topographic maps. It will show you a decent idea of where your lines are. They did not have my lines right but very close and the elevation should be correct. Where are you in Michigan David?

I have access to a topo map of my area & will take a look at that. Our farm is in Ortonville.

David in MI
02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I've never used a transit but my Dad has one so maybe we can have a little project together in the spring.

I would still like to hear how you guys measure the vacuum in your lines. Any good stuff out there?

5050racing
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Anderson s I think have a gauge for 6 bucks??

morningstarfarm
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
For vac gauges go to fw Webb...just bought 20 there for 3 bucks each...just ask for the maple syrup gauges...