PDA

View Full Version : maybe a silly question

JSEDLAK
02-18-2013, 11:44 AM
So I boiled fornthe first time this year over the weekend, ended up with 3 gallons of fancy. This only being my second year I was quite impressed with myself, came running
In the house (grading kit in hand), showed the wife and her response was..."can you make it darker?". So here I am...swollowing my pride, how do I bring fancy to med amber, dark amber or even grade ...b?

jmayerl
02-18-2013, 11:50 AM
You can add sap or water back to it and it will get darker to a point. Just wait til the end of season, it generally gets darker but not always, lots of factors influence the color.

Beweller
02-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Cook it longer (boil slower),or boil it to a higher temperature and dilute back to std syrup, or boil to a higher temperature, hold at the high temp and cool and dilute back to std syrup.

happy thoughts
02-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Well, she's in good company. A lot of people prefer darker syrup but I feel for you because I know how proud you must be of all that fancy. Good job! .... but I suppose that doesn't solve your problem. You could always cheat by packing it in brown bottles or make your wife wear dark sunglasses for breakfast :cool: Then promise her the later syrup will be darker :).

Ausable
02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
JSEDLAK - It is time for You to become a Maple Syrup Gourmet. Bottle this Fancy Syrup up for Your Private Stock. Later in the Season - You will have loads of the Dark - Heavy - Musky - Maple Syrup for the tables of the Common Man or Woman. I will bet if You have this beautiful Syrup for your own private use - And a bottle of maple syrup molasses for the Mrs. You will soon win her over. ---*******----I am an old married guy - I would never follow the advice i just gave you. There is a reason I am still alive - because I understand --The woman is always right - no matter how wrong she is - the woman is always right. Color your beautiful Maple syrup with dark food coloring and when you eat it - tell your lovely wife. "Honey! I'm sure glad I listened to You - this dark maple syrup is so much better than that golden amber junk." and She will Love You for it. Ahhhhh! the strange World of Women. LOL ---- Oh My - If only I had three gallons of Fancy - I would hide it and never - ever - tell a woman about it - I would use it to impress the guys. LOL -----Mike-----

Russell Lampron
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Don't do anything to your fancy syrup to make it darker. Mother nature will do that for you as the season progresses. Compare the flavors as the season goes on and see which one you like best. You may find that the darker stuff tastes better! My family all thinks so. I made some of that light crap Saturday night. It taste good but just doesn't have the maple flavor that the dark stuff has. Sell the light crap to the tourist or make candy and cream with it. That's about all that it's good for.

SevenCreeksSap
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm with Ausable on this one, except I cant hide it she finds it. I'd keep all the light myself, love the honey/vanilla/ whatever flavor it is. each to his own, but I'd have to say sorry, you'll have to wait if you want darker. Later in the season it's what you'll be getting. Keep your pride and the Grade A.

Ausable
02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Actually - I enjoy Maple Syrup - No matter what grade it is. Just having a little fun with JSEDLAK. I have had times in the past - where I was proud of something and the Wife would shoot it full of holes. Just because we look at the World through different eyes and experiences. LOL - JSEDLAK - LOL - Keep your sense of humor as it will probably happen again. Have a Great year making Maple -----Mike-----

JSEDLAK
02-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Well I sold a gallon to some guys at work and I plan on just keeping a quart or two each week so I can taste the progression and decide what I prefer the most.

maplehillbros7179
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
as the season goes on your syrup will get darker syrup and have more of a stronger maple taste