PDA

View Full Version : Concrete block evaporator

Kacey small scale maple
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm new at this and am trying to create an evaporator. Any ideas or input on this? For a door or ramp in the back to get it closer to the boiling pan. I Have a feed from a barrel to the back of boiling pan. Half inch copper coiling to go from tank to evap. Planning on running it along stove pipe for a pre-heater? Any help would be great!!thanks 68786879

MapleLady
02-18-2013, 06:13 AM
I noticed the decking under your blocks as well as the studs behind. Are you building this inside? My block evaporator is outside in my yard. I would never put mine inside a building or near a wood structure. Just me, but am afraid that this might cause an unwanted fire.

As far as a door, I have been using an old piece of sheet metal that I am able to slide away from the front opening of the arch. I also put a couple of small (maybe 1/2) blocks on their sides in front of the doorway. The openings in the blocks make a really nice source of draft for my fire. The sheet metal slides on top of these blocks and I hold that in place with a stick. I have covered the tops of all of my arch in some old flashing that I had on hand. I found that this gave me a clean surface around the top. 6880

325abn
02-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Looks like a good start but move that puppy outside!! :)

Kacey small scale maple
02-18-2013, 07:53 AM
I have mortared the blocks together and put in a mortared red brick floor. I also did the back in red brick and mortared in a six inch hole for stove pipe. I can move it out though if its not going to work in there. I have another question, I have a 3 section divided boiling pan and a two section divided finishing pan with holes in the corners. When I have it running , I have a feed in the back of the boiling pan and eventually when it gets to the front valve do I constantly have that drizzling into the finishing pan or not.:confused:

325abn
02-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Feed it at a rate the your rig will keep up with. I suspect however that you will not be able to feed it constantly.

Trial & Error is gonna be the key. Have fun, your probaly going to get the bug really quick!!

Kacey small scale maple
02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks ,ill just have to see how it works. the boil rate and all that will determine how fast I let in I guess. I gather that the idea of the dividers is to take off smaller batches but more frequently? Thanks anyway, would it be wise to arch the back with sand or brick?:)