PDA

View Full Version : Homemade arch question???

vermontpure
02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm building a arch out of a 275 gal fuel tank. It's not finished yet and I need to get it fired up to test my new homemade pan. All thats left to do is to brick it but probably won't have time. My question is what is the life expectancy of it without bricks? Will i get a season out of it?

325abn
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't know man I think you need to protect the skin of the tank with bricks or blanket. Although you probly could fire it up and see what happens.

cpmaple
02-18-2013, 04:30 AM
without any protection your gonna lose alot of heat that will radiate out the sides and second if you accidentally touch it you gonna get burnt bad. So i would suggest some form of insulation. just my 2 cents

madtrapper
02-18-2013, 05:45 AM
I made one last year oiut of the large oil tank. I used it with just a few bricks in the fire box as i had no money left. and not working. i had two heat sheilds for either side, and i couldn't fill it right up as it was so hot on the sides i worried it would bulge or worse. So if ya have no bricks dont go crazy on the wood, although i did keep a stead stack temp of 700f most of the time. I got bricks from another commercial set up. he changed out his evaporator and i got his old bricks for cheap. just like new as he had the fire blanket ontop of them

FunnyFarm
02-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Look on craigslist or something I bought a load of clay brick for a dime each from someone had them laying round an old chimney or something...I built the fire box from brick then filled the back end with sand then brick on top and sides.