PDA

View Full Version : What are the requirements for buying bulk and then repacking/selling/distributing

TimJ
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I make some of my own syrup and have found a restaurant who wants to buy from me. however i do not make enough to supply them. I am considering buying bulk from another producer and re-canning.

What are the labeling issues and other issues with this type of operation?

What should I be aware of?

this is in VT - and I am also looking at distributing to a second restaurant in NY.

I would probably be open to both parties that I am fulfilling the additional/supplement from a producer in the same town/nearby town. I have no wish to deceive people - but I do want to expand into the production.

unc23win
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
I think you have to be able to properly grade the syrup by taste and buy it according to the market value for each grade. Most bulk buyers have a taster who grades the syrup and labels the barrel and then it is weighed and the person is paid by the pound. Then they repackage or redistribute accordingly. I would think the important part is being dead on with the grading so that you don't spend more for syrup than its actually worth.

sugarman3
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Proper labeling,name and grade a must
be aware of density,grade and filteration process,taste[different soils =different flavor]
i buy 350-400 gallons on top of the 600 i make,and check each barrel i buy,unless it is from a reputable producer,still alway air the side caution

325abn
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
And make sure the producer uses only food grade stuff in the collection, handling and storage of all syrup and sap!! :)