PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 Grimm Arch Ramp Ends - How Does Heat/Smoke Exit - Setup Help Needed

WisconsinMaple
02-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I am fitting my existing 2x4 and 2x2 flat pans to an old Grimm 2x6 wood fired arch. The ramp in the arch when pans are laid right on the angle iron sides, ends about 4.5 feet from the front of the arch. Ramp does nearly a 90 degree straight up, terminating flush with the side angle iron on the arch (creates a cross support level with angle iron sides of arch). This seems to seal off the back 1.5 feet of the arch which makes it impossible for flame/heat/smoke to pass to the stack frame opening. Am I to build up the pans on the arch angle iron to accomplish a small opening under the stack pan?

Am I thinking correctly that my 2x4 foot flat pan should be mounted near the fire door, with 2x2 pan near the stack? I do not have any connections between the pans, and as exists today the pans are level with each other on the arch. I am using the two pans because they fit the arch and are what I have from the cement block previous setup, but I did not boil with both pans previously (upgraded from 2 foot to 4 foot pan). What is the best setup arrangement with 2 flat pans?

Thanks,
Wisconsin Maple

GratiotCoMiMaple
02-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Some pictures would be helpful.
The arch is probably set up for a raised flue sap pan. The heat/smoke would be forced up through the flues. You will have to knock out the firebrick in that area for your flat pans. I do not known how many inches from the top of the firebrick to the bottom of the flat pan is ideal. You want to force the heat as close to the pan as possible and still get good draft.

Good luck

WisconsinMaple
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Gratiot Co. Maple: Thank you for your reply. I also consulted a local maple producer who indeed pointed out what you indicate. Thankfully no brick or insulation in the arch, so just removal of that portion of sheet metal and then insulate and brick - quickly! Thank you for the tip!

Wisconsin Maple.