PDA

View Full Version : re-using filters

11BGUY
02-17-2013, 07:54 PM
first year and just completed first boil down which yielded approximately 60 oz!!!
I bought some filters from Tractor Supply (Tap My Tree's brand) and they did a phenomenal job and were as clear as day... collected all the niter
The package says use the filters and then throw out... I simply washed the filters with some hot water and they look as new as they came in the package..
anyone else do this... They want about $10 for two of these filters... Thx

psparr
02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the world of marketing.

maple flats
02-18-2013, 04:15 AM
What kind of filter are they? A maple filter is designed to be used, washed and used again, as are the pre filters. Are these truly maple filters? If yes, rinse well and re use. Squeeze, never wring them, use only pure water, no soap. When I used filters I actually washed them in the washing machine. I first ran the machine with no thing in it to remove any residue, then I ran them 2 full washes with hot water and no soap or any additives of any kind. On a smaller scale, just super rinse them in a clean bowl and keep repeating until no sign of any cloudiness is seen as you squeeze the water out.

maple flats
02-18-2013, 04:42 AM
I just looked up the "tap my trees" brand. It looks like they are just a small reseller, raising prices and packaging. At $11 for 2 filters, they must just be pre filters. A maple dealer sells them by the doz. at $21 for 22" x 30" size per dozen. They are used on top of the filter, which is $13-14 for the same size. As small as you are you might want to use cone filters. A 5 qt cone filter is about $13-14, then place 3 or 4 pre filters inside. As one plugs, gently remove it and let the next do it. Suspend the removed one above the let drip into the remaining filters. When done, rinse super well and re use them. When totally dry, store them in a big zip lock or other container to keep clean.
My guess is that you will begin to see some cloudiness at the bottom of your containers using what you did. This is super fine suger sand. While unsightly it is OK to eat. Don't use a filter without at least 2 pre filters or the filter will clog too soon and not pass the syrup.
Try to find a maple dealer near you, any brand.

Spolcik
02-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I used the same filter last year aswell. Then I ordered a filter kit from sugarbushsupply.com. The filter from them seemed to be comparible in thickness and texture to the "Tap My Trees" brand. Sugarbush Supplies said that theirs was resuable. In my opinion I would wash and reuse it.