PDA

View Full Version : holy sweet batman!

lisound
02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
did a test batch boil yesterday with about 4 gallons. this is my first, all i can say is wow!
grade A fancy. And very, very sweet. taste like cotton candy with a hint of maple. I think i let it go a little too long.
it's a bit think in the fridge.

Can't wait for a real run.

what can i use to filter the syrup before i bottle? i didn't buy any filters yet.

daverobitaille
02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Get a Orlon filter from your local seller. This works well for me. I also use a paper filter within it so my orlon does not get saturated as fast.

Dave

girmann
02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Sounds like you've caught the bug!

For small batches like I do, I just use a folded up, unused!, cloth diaper in a funnel. It's much less expensive than a wool or synthetic one, and doens't trap as much of the syrup as those larger filters do. The only downside is that you have to filter a few times with it during the boil down and then one more time when you bottle. (It's not as effective, for sure - but it costs much less.)

I have no experience with the larger wool or synthetics, though, so someone else with more experience might want to chime in. I had the cloth diapers already and it did the trick, so it cost me nothing.

psparr
02-17-2013, 12:12 PM
You can also just let it settle out and pour off the clear syrup.

lisound
02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
i did let it settle over night, thinking that i could pour off the clear syrup. but my consistency is like honey. so i over boiled it.
It's cloudy at best. I did go through about 20 coffee filters when it was a little thinner, which got a lot of the brown residue out.
The cloth diaper is a good idea. what about a sap filter? i bought some cheese cloth but that didn't work out too well.

lisound
02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
also, where is a good local dealer in so. CT. I live in Monroe.

boondocker
02-17-2013, 01:14 PM
I use a wool filter with a synthetic inside. I have it set up right under my draw off of my evaporator so as its drawing off its filtered as hot as it will ever be. works very well for me and i then filter with a synthetic again before bottling. my syrup is as clean and clear as it could be without useing a press.

lisound
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I use a wool filter with a synthetic inside. I have it set up right under my draw off of my evaporator so as its drawing off its filtered as hot as it will ever be. works very well for me and i then filter with a synthetic again before bottling. my syrup is as clean and clear as it could be without useing a press.

thanks. looks like I'll be placing an order online. how many synthetic filters would i need? do you go through a bunch for a boil? or just one per boil?

valleyman
02-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Lisound,
Lamothe's Sugar House in Burlington, CT. It's off exit 39 off rt8 Terrytown exit. It's the closest I know of and I'm in Ansonia. they have a bunch of supplies reasonably priced. But with the price of gas :mad: it's almost a wash if you pay shipping and use Bascom or Leader.

oxfordsugarshack
02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
if u guys ever need some supplys let me know i have alot of stuff 14 coppermine rd oxford ct