PDA

View Full Version : First Short Line

Dean Hale
02-17-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm just a hobbyist that always used drop lines in to 5 gallon buckets or hung a few traditional buckets. Well I have a steep bank and thought I would put in a line on 5 or 6 trees. Here's my question,,,, does that line need "vented" like a drain line in a house? Just wondering if it will flow without some kind of air behind it? It does flow now, but I'm not sure if it's doing the max that it could? Thanks a lot.

spencer11
02-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Don't vent it. You it won't run right if you do, and you will get natural vac with out it venter

Dean Hale
02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Here's my big operation. lol. Thanks for the reply!6869

SevenCreeksSap
02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Don't vent and dont let the sap in the lines drive you crazy. it will fill them and push out the sap on the next run, and so on. My hill is way steeper than yours looks cause we cant even get the utility veh up it, and the sap still stays in the lines. you'll get it all eventually. Venting will let air in all the time and cause bacteria growth faster.

5050racing
02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Your big operation looks like mine!!! It's fun to be able to have some on tubing,not to mention it's a little easier to collect.I'm going to ru some more tubing today where it's steep and tough to carry full 5 gal buckets.I don't even know now many trees and taps I have now.Somewhere about 50 now!