PDA

View Full Version : First Boil in CT on block evaporator-w/ PICs

valleyman
02-17-2013, 06:36 AM
AS you've probably read here the site that the sap in CT this past week was incredible. With all the snow cover I've only put out 14 taps and in 5 days I collected 74 gallons plus some waste due to overflow and leaky sap sacks.

Anyway I had my first boil yesterday and I was very pleased with my setup. I boiled about 45 gallons down to 3.5g concentrated sweet between 1:30 -5:30. Pretty good for 4 steam pan block set up. At first I used a small tabletop fan which then went to a more powerful table fan for forced air since there was little worry of torching the yard up due to all the snowcover.

Hopefully the rest of the season will be good. Freeze up down here now. Gives us a breether. Can't imagine how busy you real sugarmakers are during the heavy flows!

hodorskib
02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
nice looking setup and 10 gallons per hour is pretty good lets hope there are more runs like this for us in CT

Ausable
02-20-2013, 05:42 AM
You did good Valleyman - Enjoyed Your pictures. Always a great feeling - when You make your first maple steam of the year. Keep up the good and noble work. lol -----Mike-----