PDA

View Full Version : Trees have buds

rinert
02-16-2013, 08:41 PM
I was in the woods today and seen buds on most of the trees is this ok or not?http://mapletrader.com/community/images/smilies/surprised.gif

sticky bob
02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
as long as they are not red and opening up your ok

jmayerl
02-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Better out up a picture. If its soft maple it's just the winter bloom.

DonMcJr
02-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Mine have liitle closed Buds too...When they open up and the whole tree looks fuzzy thats when the end is near...

DrTimPerkins
02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I was in the woods today and seen buds on most of the trees is this ok or not?

Trees have buds all winter long. That is OK. It is only when they start to swell that it is a problem. By the time you notice them swelling, it is probably too late. I can almost guarantee you that the buds in Wisconsin are not swelling now.

dschultz
02-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Sound's like the flower bud to me,must be a red or silver maple.

Jonnyp390
02-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I am in Southeast Michigan and my Silver maples started pushing out red buds in January. A few of them (close to a black asphalt road) now have buds that are opening up. Is this ok, as they are soft maples? I have been tasting the sap that comes out of them and it still tastes sweet. I have heard about "buddy" sap but never actually tasted it. Will a beginner like me notice the off-taste of the sap?

DrTimPerkins
02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Will a beginner like me notice the off-taste of the sap?

If you have taste buds and a nose you will know when you have buddy syrup.

Greenwich Maple Man
02-17-2013, 01:32 PM
If you have taste buds and a nose you will know when you have buddy syrup.

I wish there was a "LIKE" button for a post:lol:

Green Hill Maple
02-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Trees grow buds as soon as leaf abscission takes place in the fall. You only need to worry when the buds are swelling just before bud break. Once the buds swell and begin to break the carbohydrate (sugars) uptake from the root system slows.

DonMcJr
02-17-2013, 04:25 PM
I am in SE Michigan and one of my Maples Buds were opening a Bit. Sun was shining on it full. The tree right next to it the buds were tight.

The Silver in my back yard the buds are all still closed tight.

The tree that has them opening was the first one to shoot open last year too...but this is a little early and it's like what 25 degrees F right now...

rinert
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the insight.