PDA

View Full Version : D&G Y End fitting

PARKER MAPLE
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
So we bought these y end fitting in announced to use that they are not functional y's. What is the perpose of not making the y function . Is there any benefit to this at all.
Thanks
MR

Maplewalnut
02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I think you are talking about the ones that the 'y' is solid but it has a middle barb that is open? The purpose is that this design the sap does not have to work all the way around the tree as an end fitting. Not a y in the true sense of the word but not many uses for a 5/16 y either

PARKER MAPLE
02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Ok So with that type of system how do you accomedate more then one tap on your end trees?? I totally understand it for a single tap tree.

Maplewalnut
02-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Just cut in another drop in your lateral line just downstream of your end 'Y'

northwoods_forestry
02-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Better yet go the Goodrich way and use the IPL end hook coupled with an IPL blue plugged end "T". I used those "y" end fittings on my first tubing setup, didn't find them to be that useful and I've since replaced all that I put out.

PerryFamily
02-17-2013, 06:25 AM
I used a few of those "forked y" and if the end tree requires 2 taps I put a 4" +/- piece of tubing on then a tee and 2 drops off the tee.
Now I use end rings and blue " dead end tees", however if the end tree requires 2 taps I use a " tee or y" and a dead end tee on either side for the drops. Just make sure the dead end is facing the right direction.

PARKER MAPLE
02-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys, we used the end line hooks from lapierre last year and sugaring partner thought we might be getting a bacteria spot in them as the fluid didnt really run around the tree as much as he thought it should. So we bought this bag of end line Ys from D&G like 70.00 and thought this would be our answere, but when we went to install we discovered that the sap can only flow through the middle fork and not the side that go around the tree. kinda bummed so we are drilling them out and making them work as we need.

northwoods_forestry
02-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Yeah, those end line hooks will create a lovely bacteria colony in the line unless you use them with a plugged end line "T". On gravity I've had the same problem with the leader end rings, though I'm guessing they work well with vacuum.