PDA

View Full Version : Gravity flow

dracmaple
02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
I have 15 trees on gravity flow with a 3/4 mainline, I have only gotten about 15 gallons from them since tapping a week ago. My 25 buckets have produced roughly 60 gallons since tapping at the same time, not sure what the deal is, any suggestions?

Maplewalnut
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
What size taps are you sing in both situations? My experience is Buckets on average will flow better than gravity tubing especially if your tubing is somewhat flat

northwoods_forestry
02-17-2013, 06:03 AM
How many taps do you have on each lateral? With only 15 trees you might do better if they are all on one 5/16ths line.

dracmaple
02-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks. The buckets are a mix of 5/16 and 7/16. The most I have on one branch is 4, I was thinking about switching it to all 5/16 tubing to see if that would help, like you suggested.

wildlifewarrior
02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
We had the same issue, except with about 20 taps per 5/16 mainline. Last week from our 50 taps we got 13 gallons. I talked to the owner of Lamothes this weekend and he said put it on a 3/4 mainline to increase flow, and not have more than 5-10 taps per 5/16 lateral line. Do you have each tap going directly to the lateral line, and not "Y"ed together? We switched yesterday to a 3/4 mainline so we'll see this week. Doesn't make me too happy if you are having trouble.

dracmaple
02-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Most of the branches only have one tap on them right into the mainline, a couple have 3 on the branch. I have plenty of pitch on all the lines and am just frustrated as to why it isn't flowing. I was thinking about switching to 5/16 but now I'm second guessing that if you are having trouble too.

northwoods_forestry
02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
he said put it on a 3/4 mainline to increase flow, and not have more than 5-10 taps per 5/16 lateral line.

If you are running vacuum that'll work great, but if you are gravity and relying on natural vacuum then you want significantly more than 5-10 taps per lateral.

325abn
02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Buckets always beat tubing. So I have heard.

hodorskib
02-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I have about 75-80 taps out each year. I have tried tubing in the past and the first year it worked great but the next two years the flow became less and less. Finally, I went back to buckets and have never had an issue since. I keep telling myself the hour or so to collect is good exercise:lol: Looking back on the experience I think it had to do with several factors:
1. We could not really clean the tubing well enough without the proper equipment - we used a bleach solution and then rinsed.
2. We used the same plastic spouts each year - there has been much research about plastic holding on to bacteria and they recommend changing them yearly along with drop lines unless using check valves
3. The tree rats also decided that the blue tubing was like candy and caused small holes that weren't always noticeable
4. Without a vacuum system we also found that sap would freeze in the lines and it would take a while to defrost and start flowing losing much of the run after a good freeze
I now use 5/16 cast aluminum spouts with 4 gallon plastic buckets or sap bags. At the end of each year I boil the spouts and scrub them and pack them in popcorn to prevent any moisture from settling on them. Then I boil them again and let them dry completely before tapping out. It is not uncommon for me to collect well over 100 gallons from 75 taps on a good run.

killingworthmaple
02-19-2013, 06:05 AM
I have heard if you clean with bleach the tree rats will eat the tubing because there is some type of salt left from the bleach. I don't know if it's true or not.

Nathan

dracmaple
02-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I have some extra 5/16 tubing and am thinking about swapping the 3/4" to that and see what happens. I am getting enough with the buckets to keep me busy now.