PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 flat evaporation rate.

psparr
02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Has anyone ever heard of 20 gal. hr. from a 2x6 flat setup without air? I boiled today on my new homemade evap. and have a 5 gallon bucket for a head tank. When full it took on average 13 mins to empty. That equates to 23 gallons an hr. I'll take a little off for the bucket not being completely topped off, so say 20. My pans are thin, 26 ga.
I timed about 5 buckets full.

Rugburn
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
My 2 X 6 flat pan runs around 16 gal. / hr. evaporation rate. Your setup is running very good at over 20. Rates will vary with barametric pressure. I'm doing a little tweeking to my old Grimm to see if I can squeeze any more out of her without adding a blower or any other major game changer. Best of luck and enjoy!

psparr
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I was really surprised to see that rate. Didn't think it was possible with what I've read on here. My wood is very dry. Cut up from standing dead wood.

325abn
02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Thats not bad at all! Now add a blower and other tweeks and you'll be up to 25/hr

SeanD
02-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I average 20 gph on my 2x6 (two 3' flat pans) with natural draft once it is up and going - one 5 gal bucket every 15 min. It takes me about an hour or so to get to that point, but once it is there, I can pretty much stay consistent. It seems like when my internal stack temp hits 700, that's when both sections of the back pan start to boil. When I'm really stoking it with hardwood I can get peaks higher than that.

Sunday's boil was harder to get to 20 consistently. I think it was mostly because of the ice-cold sap I was feeding it with and the wood going in was more pine than the previous boil. I'm also always good for a "mystery lull". Things will be chugging along fine at 20 gph and then all of a sudden I start losing the boil in the first section of the back pan, then about half the second. Then my feed rate gets messed up and the pan starts running deeper which leads to losing the boil more. I haven't quite figures that one out yet.

Sean

Maple guy
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I get about 22 gal. an hour on my flat pan 2x6 with good dry wood. But thinking about adding a blower so I can get more in the 25 range.