PDA

View Full Version : Jet Sleds are good for more than just ice fishing!

hodorskib
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I was trying to hold out a bit longer but this week's temperatures put an end to that. This year I am trying sap bags on PVC holders instead of plastic 4 gal. buckets. I was able to load up all 75 bags and holders into my Jet Sled, which I use for ice fishing, strapped them down and added my drill, extra battery, hammer and taps. Pulled up to my trees which are located on state land and on a back road so needless to say it didn't get too much attention from the road crews. The edges measured 3' of snow and there was still about 24" in the woods. I started off at the top of the hill and worked my way down to the bottom. All in all 75 taps over about 1/4 mile took 2 hours. When I got back to the truck I checked the temperature and it was 36 degrees but every tap was running pretty good and there was already about 2" of sap in the first couple I hung out. Hopefully, this is a sign of a good season ahead. I have two 20 gallon screw top containers that fit nicely in the sled for collecting. So hopefully the snow will stick around a bit longer it is so much easier dragging the sled than carrying full 5 gallon buckets out.

bemer
02-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Hi,
What is a Jet Sled?

hodorskib
02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
A very large plastic sled with 8-10" high sides used for dragging ice fishing gear.

Dennis H.
02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I like the curved top to your sap sak holders.
Do you have a closer pic?

maple flats
02-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I use 2 jet sleds, a large with tow bar behind my snowmobile and a medium behind my ATV 4x4 with chains on the rear. The medium has an adapted deer cart draw bar, because it has a sort of trailer ball coupler since the ATV has a ball. I bought it from Sportsman's guide, not too pricy.