PDA

View Full Version : Grate Ideas

Troutman10
02-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Does anyone have any good ideas for grates for a homemade Fuel Tank evaporator?

jake22si
02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
cast iron radiator sections, or angle iron welded with "v" up V V V V V.

happy thoughts
02-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I don't know how this would work in your set up but a few years ago someone had a clever idea for a block arch using those scalloped edging bricks. They just placed some rebar cut to size across the dips. I don't know how long the bricks will hold up but might be worth a try. An old oven shelf or BBQ grill might work, too.

valleyman
02-17-2013, 07:12 AM
I have a block evaporator but I've tried a few different grate set ups but currently settled on and really like the channeled sign posts that hold up the street signs. If you look around you can fine old ones not in use. (Or just use the one's in use since nobody obeys them anymore anyways! KIDDING) Cut to fit your arch. Built in air flow with all the holes in the posts. With some pushed air from underneath my fire roars. And so far no warping whatsoever.

TapME
02-17-2013, 08:06 AM
cast iron radiator sections, or angle iron welded with "v" up V V V V V.
He has it right. I used an old bed frame welded together with the v up and has lasted 4 years.

Ausable
02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Thought I had the answer - as I too have a homemade Fuel Oil Tank Arch. Have Steel Factory floor grating in mine and it worked great and still does - but - now I'm gettin a sag. It held up good for two years and then I started burning a lot Slab Ash and had a lot hotter fire. After the end of this season _ going to have to pull it out and make some decisions.....So - I will follow this posting and get some new ideas too. -----Mike----

FunnyFarm
02-17-2013, 08:23 AM
I welded together some rebar supported it underneath with a few fire bricks and then cut a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth to fit on top. Add a blower under it works great.

Super Sapper
02-17-2013, 09:02 AM
I am trying some unitstrut that I had laying around. It's my first year with my homemade evaporator so I'll see how it goes. I welded some 3/8" rod for spacers and have it so it fills with ash. I hope it will work as well as the angle with the V up. It worked well with on my test boil so I'll see how this year goes if we ever get any tapping weather.

Troutman10
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
You've thrown out some great ideas guys. I'll be heading to the Town dump this week...maybe I can rustle something up. Thanks!

ackerman75
02-22-2013, 02:22 AM
The V V V V V up design is the way to go, I have had mine for 5 seasons with no warn at all. The V's fill up with ash and insulate the steel so it doesn't get as hot, works great :)

emo
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Welded some 1/2" rebar to make a grate. It extends up on both sides and the back, with a rod across the top on the sides and back. Took a while to prep the ends to weld, but went together fairly easy. I am on my second season with, it seems to be holding up ok, but last season was very short only boiled three or four times, boiled four times this year.

Beweller
02-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Use EMT. Cheapest source of steel. 1/2 inch or 3/4 for greater ruggedness. Flatten ends of cross-members. Drill and bolt.

No welding. No heavy hacksawing.

jake22si
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Does it last?
Use EMT. Cheapest source of steel. 1/2 inch or 3/4 for greater ruggedness. Flatten ends of cross-members. Drill and bolt.

No welding. No heavy hacksawing.

Troutman10
02-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I had a old hang on tree stand that was just sitting around. I cut it up and am going to try that for my grate. I'll let ya know how it works.