PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Paul VT
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
So I did a test boil on my new to me evaporator tonight. Went very well. After it cooled down I drained the pans. There are two 1/4 inch plugs in the flue pan float box. I don't think the previous owner had ever had these out. So I decided to remove them and drain the float box. The first one and the only one I tried to remove came out. The threaded part that was soldered in came with it! This is the one that is in the input cavity. I have soldered wires before but that is it. The plug is galvanized and the threaded part is brass. What is the best procedure/ materials to use to solder it back in? Please help.
Thanks.

325abn
02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Probly your best bet is to take your pan to a local wielder. A few bucks at the most.

maplecrest
02-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Since it is on the cold intake, and you want to drain. Make a plug to fit hole. Fix at end of season

Paul VT
02-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Has anyone out there ever solder any thing like this? The fitting is brass. What type of solder should be used?

noreast maple
02-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Silver solder ,for stainless and brass , clean extra good before trying.

Paul VT
02-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks! I will try that.

Flat47
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
When you solder it, the brass fitting will hold the heat longer than the stainless pan. But you want to heat the brass fitting with the torch, not the pan - so there's a balance to be had with heating the fitting but not too much and causing the solder to runn off or scorthing the pan. Low flame. Don't rush it. Heat a bit then remove the flame. Heat a bit more; remove the flame. Repeat.

Paul VT
02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks. Good advise. I talked to a friend that is a plumber he said it might work good to use a electric soldering iron. Any thoughts?

Paul VT
02-22-2013, 04:49 AM
All fixed!! Bought some silver solder and liquid flux to go with it. Heated the fitting with a torch. Found a soldering end for a propane torch in my stuff. Cleaned fitting and the pan with some sand paper. Solder that was still on the pan made it easy. Was able to just heat that and set fitting into it. Added very little additional solder. Looks like it did before.
Thanks for the tips!