PDA

View Full Version : Filtering Light Syrup

steamvalleyFarms
02-15-2013, 07:44 AM
I bought a filter press last year and for the most part it did a wonderful job, The only problem I had was when I was filtering was the batch of light syrup that I did. It took forever for it to clear up and stayed cloudy for awful long time after I charged the press and kept recirculating it. Do you use the same amount of filter aide for light syrup as you do the other grades. Or do you use less, or more? Just wondering where I went wrong last year, and getting ready for this year.

Also I am batch filtering in my house not out in the sugar shack so I am doing about 5--7 gallons at a time. How much filter aide should I be using for a 7" 3 bank filter press? Plus I am planning on getting another finishing pan set up this year so I can filter out of two pans that will hold about 5-7 gallons each for a total of about 10 gallons of syrup at a time. So if in the first pan I filter from, if i add eonough filter aide to charge the filter, Do I need to add as much filter aide to the second pan, or do I add less or none at all since the filter is already charged?

Thanks,
Rob

ennismaple
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Rob - We have a Lapierre sirofilter and not the bank presses but the principals are the same. Often, the first syrup of the season can be difficult to filter. We add about 2 coffee cups worth of DE to 15 gallons of syrup and re-circulate it through the press for up to 5 minutes before we send it to the re-heater for bottling. After the filter cloth is charged with DE and sugar sand you shouldn't need to add much if any DE to subsequent batches. After the first day's syrup it often gets easier for a while - sometimes not even needing DE. Towards the end of the year it gets difficult again and you need more DE and need to change the filter cloths / papers more frequently.

steamvalleyFarms
02-15-2013, 06:41 PM
thanks for the help.

Rob

maple flats
02-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I have a 3 bank Lapierre filter press (just expanded to 5) Early in the season I use about 2-2.5 cups filter aid (FA) in 6-7 gal, mix well, then recirculate thru the bypass back into the mixing tank for a minute or 2. Then I send it to the filter, flowing back into the mix tank until clear, usually 102 minutes. Then I send it to the canner. On subsequent batches I mix about 1 cup, mix, stir and filter as above. I continue this until the papers are full. Later in the season it takes a little more FA. I usually get about 15-20 gal per set of papers. Late season that is often only half that on a set. That is why I bought 2 more sets for this year, to get more gal filtered per set of papers.
You only need a loading charge the first time on a set of new papers. After that you can use less, but don't try using none because it is actually the FA that filters. If you run with nothing added it will work for a while but then the niter will plug the surface of the FA on the papers and flow will drop drastically. Using some FA prevents this until the hollow plates are full.

northwoods_forestry
02-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Dave - I'm curious why you start the filtering process by circulating through the bypass valve before sending it to the filters?

maple flats
02-16-2013, 07:48 AM
I recirculate first to get a better mix of syrup and FA, then direct it to the filter. Notice I also go initially from filter discharge back into the mixing tank. Then as the discharge gets crystal clear, I move the discharge to the canner or bbl without shutting off the filter press. To do this I use a SS pitcher and catch the flow while moving it to the canner, then I dump the pitcher into the mix tank. I do this because I used to notice a momentary surge of slightly cloudy syrup out the discharge hose if I shut the pump off, move the discharge and restart it. This way I get no cloudy into the filtered syrup.

ennismaple
02-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Dave - I'm curious why you start the filtering process by circulating through the bypass valve before sending it to the filters?
Dave is correct - this mixes the Filter Aide and warms up the pump and hoses before sending it to the filter. If you sent the syrup straight to the filter without recirculating first the syrup would be cool because the pump is cold and might not filter well.

northwoods_forestry
02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Great advice - Thanks!

steamvalleyFarms
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Yes, thanks alot.I know that was one thing i was not doinglast year bypassing the filters first.We will see how it works this year. Either way, it certainly beats cone filters!

maple flats
02-18-2013, 04:49 AM
It just takes a little learning. At first a filter press seems scary, but after a few uses you'll know it well. My first year I referred to a instruction manual the Vermont Maple Reserch Center put out about using a filter press. It was generic. Here is the link http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

northwoods_forestry
02-18-2013, 05:57 AM
At first a filter press seems scary, but after a few uses you'll know it well.

LOL - At first a filter press is scary!!! The sugarhouse roof above the press will never look the same and there's nothing like diving through a 200 degree syrup fountain to hit the off switch!

Seriously now, I have never had any luck with trying to get a second batch through my press (7" 3 plate). I finish in batches of 5-7 gallons and run it all through at once. Even on a low nitrate day if I try to get a second batch through - well, see above...maybe doing the bypass warm up will allow me to push more syrup through the filter than just 5-7 gallons?