PDA

View Full Version : Meth lab bust turns out to be maple syrup

DanE.
02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
I thought this was interesting. Heard this on the radio this morning:

UNION COUNTY, Ill. -- Police stormed in on an Illinois family's home on suspicion of it being a meth lab.

When they got there, the unsuspecting family invited police in to see what they were really cooking up, homemade maple syrup.

Turns out their very alert neighbors thought the trees and attached buckets in the yard were part of a drug-making operation.

"I just kind of wanted to put their minds at ease and let them know it's maple syrup and they're all welcome for pancakes if they want to come," said Laura Benson, homeowner.

The Bensons say they have been making their own maple syrup for the past five years but this was the first time they have been mistaken for a meth lab.

They even gave the drug agents a sample of their syrup to take home and enjoy.

Meth lab bust turns out to be maple syrup (http://www.abc57.com/news/national-world/Meth-lab-bust-turns-out-to-be-maple-syrup-191327711.html)

maplefrank
02-15-2013, 07:37 AM
never heard this one before........heard of 2 cases where the fire dep was called out for a structure fire, someone saw the sparks coming out of the stack and called 911..........

heus
02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
City people amaze me sometimes. Or at least I assume city people considering the neighbors didnt know what the buckets on the trees were for. Maybe thats to expected since Illinois isnt exactly in the "maple belt."

mathprofdk
02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm not surprised. I sometimes see the steam rising in my backyard and wonder when the cops are going to show up.

TerryEspo
02-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Thats a crazy news story,,,I gotta just say WOW.

It takes all kinds to make a world !!

Flatlander
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I saw that article this morning as well. Anna is very unpopulated to say the least. A beautiful part of the State. I've offen wondered if someone would report me but I'm on a dead end road so not much traffic. But even the garbage man knows what I'm doing. More power to the family for handing out the "goods" to the DEA agents. At least they got a good laugh out of it and something for the pancakes!

http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x930800362/Southern-Illinois-familys-syrup-making-mistaken-for-meth-lab

CBOYER
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
hey guys, we all know that maple syrup is a drug... look how much addicted on this site...:lol:

SDdave
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
City people amaze me sometimes. Or at least I assume city people considering the neighbors didnt know what the buckets on the trees were for. Maybe thats to expected since Illinois isnt exactly in the "maple belt."

Two season's ago I was "approached" (several hundred feet away) by my neighbors on different nights. The first one thought I was making moonshine, I laughed that one off. But the other neighbor thought that I was making meth... I couldn't pass up the opportunity to mess with his mind that night :lol:

Season's without cops: 3...so far.

SDdave

Drp482
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Im south of Youngstown Ohio and this was on our local news.. Im sure this guy was wondering what was going on when all the police showed up.. lol

Bruce L
02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
That's hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/drug-agents-swarm-reported-meth-203659348.html
some funny stuff

hope thats a water jug