PDA

View Full Version : Battling a Y with a tubing tool

markcasper
02-15-2013, 04:35 AM
I was extremely disappointed upon using my brand new mainline tool yesterday! I was trying to install a 1" branch line onto a stainless y and had a @#&*%$!@ of a time. I fought that for close to an hour before I got it attached and am looking for pointers.

The stainless y was an 1 1/4" x 1" x 1 1/4". I had the 1 1/4" together and then went for the 1". The tubing is white Lapierre mainline and the y was practically the same size as the whole outside diameter of the 1". I have a new mainline tool with the crank on, ended up cutting it off 4 times b/c I ruined it that many times trying to force it on. I tried a torch, I tried hot water, blocks of wood, nothing seemed to be working. I finally got it caught and man it is really mangled and am afraid the inside of the 1" pipe actually peeled some on the inside but I have no way of knowing. HELP!!

ennismaple
02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
We dont' use a mainline tool but we do use the full inside diameter SS fittings. To get them installed we gently heat them witha torch, flare the end a bit with the butt end of a screwdriver and push the mainline on. It works well for us.

mapleack
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Y's are always a PITA! I usually ream the line going on the angle with a nut driver, then heat with torch and push on. Then I ream the pieces going on straight through and use the mainline tool to put them together. I just bought a mainline flare tool from lapiere, but haven't tried it yet. Yes using a torch damages the UV resistance, oh well it's a chance I'll take.

markcasper
02-16-2013, 06:44 AM
So it sounds like the mainline tool was a big waste of money if you guys are using a torch anyway. I bought it thinking i would not have to use a torch amymore. The 1 1/4" ends went on great without the tool b/c the tool was for only 3/4" and 1 ". I guess I should just return the tool if i'm going to have to use a torch now afterall. Alot of money to spend to only get the results I have.

maple flats
02-16-2013, 07:31 AM
I use a torpedo flare to open up the end. Leader sells them but I had a machinist buddy make one from a 1.5" diameter nylon. Then when I tried it on 1.5" tubing I discovered I needed bigger. My buddy then made one from 2" nylon. It works great but is truly much heavier and bulky. Now I use the first one on 1.25" and down ( I still have a few mains in 3/4" but most are 1") and I get out the 2" only for my 1.5" dry line. Using a flare helps get the tubing started on the SS fitting, once started the mainline tool does it's job. Lacking a piece of nylon to work with, I think a good hard piece of wood could be used, like oak or sugar maple. Turn it down on a lathe or even grind it on a belt sander if you have no other way. Just do your best to get it round and have a decent taper. Look at Leader's in the catalog for the taper (others might offer them too)

markcasper
02-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks all for the advice.

mapleack
02-16-2013, 04:28 PM
I still love my mainline tool mark, it just doesnt work well for the Y's. I wouldnt go back to not having one for anything. Particularly nice for pulling pieces together when they're not quite reaching.