PDA

View Full Version : Most Maple

doocat
02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Can anyone tell me what part of the state produces the most maple? Where in the state are the larger producers? We are thinking of traveling to Wisconsin this summer so just doing some research.

Craig

Maple Dad
02-14-2013, 04:40 PM
In Merrill, WI there is a place called Polak's Maple Hollow. They sell equipment and have a big operation right next door. Their website is www.maplehollowsyrup.com. Wisconsin welcomes you!

flying squirrel maple
02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Roth's sugarbush in cadott, Anderson's in Cumberland. Good folks both sell equipment, Roth's sells CDL, Anderson's sells smokey lake , leader and GBM. Have fun in gods country this summer , some of the best back country roads in the nation. 😉

jmayerl
02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Those are all nice places but very small(3000-5000) tap counts. Biggest around here I know of are Charlie wegners in tillida, I think they have in the 50k range, sipples in birnamwood has about 20k.

motowbrowne
02-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Roth's in Cadott are real nice folks, same with Maple Hollow. I bought a used evaporator that Maple Hollow sold originally, they vouched for the seller and then provided me with a bunch of help setting up the evaporator once I brought it home. Definitely give them my business when I can. I wish I could say the same for Anderson's; so far my experiences there have been less than amazing. I guess the previous two generations were known to be very nice guys, but in my experience, Steve was not very helpful. I know I'm not setting up a new 10k tap operation looking for new equipment, but I was planning on spending at least $600 there that day and there was no one else in the shop. Wouldn't have taken much to make me feel welcomed there, but I got the opposite feeling. Also, they sell a pancake syrup blend. http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/files/BulkPancakeSyrupFlyer.pdf I know they're trying to break into the Aunt Jemimah market, but it just feels wrong to me. As far as area, I know Wausau WI has some big operators. I buy some syrup from a guy out that direction who hangs over 4000 buckets, but I'm sure there's some big modern operations too. Good luck

lpakiz
02-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Doocat, I guarantee Dawn at Roths will make you feel welcome..

jmayerl
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Not to hijack a thread but now that I see that about Anderson's I have 0 respect for them. I pay money and try to be active in the state association to help promote our business. Anderson's is also a member. Now they are selling syrup that is watered down and has some kind of sugar added, what a joke.

flying squirrel maple
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
WOW looks like I started a little fire storm. They have been good to me, very helpful with any questions I've had. As far as them making pancake syrup coudos to them, I know it's hard to believe, there are some that don't like maple syrup, my sister, mother and some other family members and friends 😡. They are running a business and trying to make a profit if there's a market for them so be it.

sweeteffinsyrup
02-16-2013, 10:23 AM
WOW looks like I started a little fire storm. They have been good to me, very helpful with any questions I've had. As far as them making pancake syrup coudos to them, I know it's hard to believe, there are some that don't like maple syrup, my sister, mother and some other family members and friends 😡. They are running a business and trying to make a profit if there's a market for them so be it.

I don't know Anderson's at all, but if they are branching out their business ( no pun intended) and are honest and forthcoming about the products being sold and the contents in them then I wish them well.

jmayerl
02-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Yup everyone can branch out and do whatever they want for business, that's great. The problem I have is being involved with the WMSPA. The WMSPA is supposed to support and back the maple industry in Wisconsin. Selling 25% syrup and 75% sugar water is the kinds of things that the maple industry is fighting.

markcasper
02-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Yes, you guys have picked up on a most divisive subject. You also should know that they are on here checking these posts out as well. I will say one thing about Anderson, Steven has always been great in taking things back or making an adjustment if I was not happy with any equipment purchase. And there has been several over the years. Takes them back no questions.
I have no comment on the maple - cane sugar blend. I know they make and pack apple syrup as well, so what jmayeral, are they wrong for doing that because they belong to the wmspa and should strictly adhere to maple. There is nothing stopping you or me from packing apple or maple blends.

lastwoodsman
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
If you want to feel welcome in WI check out Roths both Pete and Dawn are great folks. Little producer or big they will make you feel welcome.

Woodsman

southfork
02-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Polaks in Merrill are outstanding people. I have dealt with them many years. Their tubing operation is now about 12000 taps and very modern with many upgrades, was there yesterday.

As far as maple syrup blends, I would rather see real maple syrup used in the blend than an artificial sweetener/flavor. That is another use for certain grades of maple syrup. I prefer pure maple syrup but others do like different blends, colors, flavors and consistencies.

mike z
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
A couple years back I called Anderson's about selling some syrup, had it all arranged to bring the next day. When my wife brought it over, they gave her a very hard time about it. We won't be going there again - to buy or sell.

motowbrowne
02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Markcasper, if Steve Anderson is on here reading this, that would be great. I don't know why you mention that like we should watch what we say. As long as no one is saying anything slanderous, we are welcome to say what we like regarding equipment suppliers. I hope Steve is on here reading that not one, but several of us have been less than pleased with his service, and that we will recommend other producers to his competitors. In fact, if he is reading, I would welcome him to step in, and say a little about what their goals are in serving producers. Just like when I was in his shop, all it would have take would have been 3-5 minutes of conversation, maybe a "how's the weather where you are? you guys getting excited yet?, etc." If he came on here and said, "wow, I'm sorry you guys have had a bad experience at my shop, how can I make it right? Please give me a chance to earn your business back." I'd probably listen. At the very least, I'd think, "wow that's cool that Steve came on Mapletrader and actually cares what us little guys think, maybe he was having a bad day when I went in there. maybe I'll order those 800 quart bottles I'm about to be needing from them", but from my previous experience, I won't be holding my breath. I think it's great that their business is as big as it is, but I hope they haven't lost sight of what counts in the industry, having a great time making a great product. Last I heard, they leased their woods to someone else to tap, then bought the sap, then paid someone else to cook it for them, even though their bottle talks about staying up late into the night cooking syrup, a family tradition.

southfork
02-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I have not used all the suppliers but I have been a customer of Maple Hollow in Merrill for over 13 years. I have never had nor heard of a bad experience with them. Barbara and Joe Polak are all about maple and have been for generations, they are involved at all levels. I operate a small sugarbush, up to 800 buckets, but I always feel welcome at Maple Hollow.

hgjobe
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I have had nothing but great service and support from Anderson's. Steve has answered and also returned my calls when he was busy. Anyway, my 2 cents.