PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Cover?

LukeDawg11
02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
May be a silly question but what do you guys use to cover your evaporator in between boils? Assuming it's covered...My rig is outside in a temporary structure, fairly well protected from snow, sun, and rain, but I still don't want to leave sweetened pans exposed before the next round of boiling. Was thinking a sheet of plywood or tarp, but I don't want any impurities in the pan. Maybe aluminum foil or a glass top?

Ausable
02-14-2013, 04:00 PM
LukeDawg11 - Covering Your Pans is a good idea. I now cover mine between boils as I leave them sweetened for the next boil. I'm a hobby Maple Syrup maker and some of my ideas make Commercial Producers cringe as they sell their product. I won't mention what I use - it is safe - but I'm not in the mood to get hammered by the big guys. It keeps out floaters in the air - dust - insects and even mice could be a problem. Having to throw syrup away and cleaning the evaporator because I was careless does not appeal to me. So Yes - cover your pans - Have a great year making Maple.

twin6
02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
A piece of clean roofing tin can work just fine to keep vermin or debris out. Weight it down if you are outside. I put tin over ours while the pan is still warm. You will get some condensate that will fall into the pan - hard to say how much, but it might be just enough to give you a margin of comfort if you are close on calculating what will simmer off when you've gone to bed!

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
02-14-2013, 05:11 PM
We had a custom set built at a pretty reasonable price at a race car shop. They bent the aluminum to our measurements and they work and look nice.

CTfarm
02-14-2013, 10:18 PM
I had Andy at Wegner Metel Works in Wisconsin make me a SS cover.

LukeDawg11
02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Nice! Thanks for all the replies.