PDA

View Full Version : Mainline Wire

Big Buck Acres
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
This is my first attempt at running main line, from what I have been reading 12.5 galvanized is the recommended size for suspending line.
I am using .5" pipe with approx 50 taps extending approx 250 ft, is there any reason why I cannot use small gauge aircraft cable in place of the 12.5 galvanized wire?
I do plan on getting cable tight with ratchet or some sort of come along device.
Just wondering why it has to be wire instead of cable.
I should mention I have approx 4% slope

Thanks in advance for any input

Tom

briansickler
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Sure, why not....as long as it's good and tight....you don't want it to have much or any sag to it. If it does sag use a post or stakes where needed.

unc23win
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
That should work good. Most people use 12.5 wire because the splices, ratchets, and such are readily available and there are tools for working with it as well.

spencer11
02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Save some money and go wireless, it's pretty easy and can be done with any mainline on gravity. The best is leaders mainline for vac or gravity but you could use black pipe for gravity so save some $

wildlifewarrior
02-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi Spencer, can you explain?
Mike

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-14-2013, 04:33 PM
You can use anything that works. I've used old fencing. My dad used old cable wire. The thing is that most wires can't handle the tension. But if you are using .5 " over a couloe hundred feet you could use most anything that can handle a little tension.

spencer11
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Spencer, can you explain?
Mike
I've got a ton of pics on my Facebook page. But I used leaders mainline and you just attach wire to the ends with hose clamps or tension grips and tighten it with a come along then attach it to the ratchets so you can adjust it from there. Get it tight by doing that and then side tie it good and when you attach your lats it will be even straighter. Mine don't have any sags now that I added a couple more side ties

maplehillbros7179
02-14-2013, 05:36 PM
it will work fine it just may need to be retensioned yearly

Big Buck Acres
02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Very much appreciate the input from everyone, I can see how aircraft cable can be a little more difficult to work with opposed to wire when it comes to cutting and tieing .. . Looking forward to setting up, stiil have a good month to go in these parts before a run , have couple feet of snow and cold, but I can almost smell it in the air.

Typical8
02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Before you use a cable consider how you are going to attach the laterals to the main line. Most people around here use a union with a hook that goes on the wire. If the cable is too large this will not work. If the hook won't go on the cable you can attach with the Rapi-tube strapping.

spencer11
02-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Before you use a cable consider how you are going to attach the laterals to the main line. Most people around here use a union with a hook that goes on the wire. If the cable is too large this will not work. If the hook won't go on the cable you can attach with the Rapi-tube strapping.
I made a wire loop to go around my mainline sine I didn't use wire, I use the slide fittings and the wire hooks I made work good

Big Buck Acres
02-15-2013, 04:44 AM

I was planning on using 3 way star attachement threaded into mainline, and have laterals plug onto this. Would this not be sufficient?
Does this "Union Hook" keep things tighter?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-15-2013, 05:01 AM
I was planning on using 3 way star attachement threaded into mainline, and have laterals plug onto this. Would this not be sufficient?
Does this "Union Hook" keep things tighter?

The hook is used to keep tension on the lateral without putting tension on your saddle or star entry.

Big Buck Acres
02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
The hook is used to keep tension on the lateral without putting tension on your saddle or star entry.

Thanks ...will have to look for some of those.