PDA

View Full Version : Erie County 2013

Low budget maple
02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Well we could not resist. Put 60 on monday and all half full. Hoping to get a little more run today and tomorrow and boil fri. I took the day off cause its my b-day to get my season started. I am going to wait untill the weather says to put in the remaining 100 taps. Kick the tires and lite the fires!! Good luck to all

cadocter
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Glad to hear someone else is tapped too! We tapped Feb. 3. Monday we gathered a little over 120 gallons and yesterday another 30 or so. Good luck to all!

KV Sappers
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
I took the day off cause its my b-day to get my season started.

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU and may the sap god's smile on you this season. Good luck.

Sugarmaker
02-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Folks,
Just saw the thread for Erie county. Not much action on this thread yet. We tapped a week early have made 26 gallons of nice syrup. Will gather tonight after dark and begin boiling tomorow morning. My est is 550 gallons of 2% sap today. We will see how close I come to that guess.
Happy belated birthday to Low budget maple!
Regards,
Chris

Bill
02-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Folks
We have about 35 more taps to set on Saturday. We should be in the neighborhood 525 taps. We will do a final count during the season. We are plugging the tanks today, but the weather report keeps changing. I'm hopefull to make syrup Monday. Chris are hugging your trees or is it sunny and warm in weatern Erie Co.

Bill
Fort LeBoeuf Maple
Waterford, PA

Gary R
02-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Bill, good luck to you guys. I was at the tapping ceremony. We've all been waiting for a warm up. Chris told me he puts electric heaters around his trees:)

Sugarmaker
02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Got the electric bill today. wow it costs a bunch to keep maple trees warm:)
I was way off on that last run, only got 200 gallon and it was very cold gathering sap ice in a snow storm. All this cold weather makes me feel like I tapped to early??
Regards,
Chris

Bill
02-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi ALL
I have a feeling were going to all have a great maple season. It may take a while to start but the low temps look well spaced out and the high temps are not going to make the trees buds grow.

Chris did you get the tree heaters from Leader?

Hey Low Budget Maple where's your location?

Bill
Ft. LeBoeuf Maple
Waterford, PA

cadocter
02-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I know I'm not Erie County, but I boiled what little sap we had tonight and to my surprise I made half a gallon in 2 hours. I'm hoping Monday brings better sap weather!

Sugarmaker
02-24-2013, 08:05 PM
cadoctor,
Your close enough to Erie County. You must be close to Daryl Sheets?

Bill,
I did get those tree heaters from Leader. They have them in the new catalog. Its not the heaters its all the cords that have to be used that really cost the money. :)
My Ft. LeBoeuf Maple vinegar has frozen, I think that means that it is not as acidic as it needs to be?
Regards,
Chris

cadocter
02-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Sugarmaker,
Yeah I'm not too far from Daryl. Probably 8 or so miles. Hopefully this freeze will let up soon! I'm getting antsy to make some more syrup.

Low budget maple
03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi bill. Sorry for the delay. Lost my password. You are in my back yard. I am over on cronin rd. This weather is the pitts !! I just have a baby set but my usual 30 gal year is setting at 9 and i think i may need to get my eyes checked because the forecast just hasn't changed !! Watching paint dry is more fun than hearing the forecast lately. Oh well hope they turn on. Best wishes

Low budget maple
03-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Ahh can anyone tell me what that orange dot and those numbers above 28 in the forecast for late next week means ??? Its very foriegn latley. Hahaha

Bill
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi Low Budget Maple
Good to hear from you I should be able to see your steam from here. Talk about watching crome rust I've done everything I can think of in the sugar house waiting for more sap. Would like to see your outfit sometime. Give me a holler when you boil sometime, I'll try to run down to see you.

Bill
Ft. LeBoeuf Maple