PDA

View Full Version : PVC pipe sap disaster

SevenCreeksSap
02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Well, I figured I'd tell this story even if it makes me look silly, and maybe get some ideas. its already a learning experience this year. I have a caged tank on a wood stand on the back of the sugarhouse, outside, with a 2" dia pvc pipe running thru the wall, and it drains into my 55 gal blue barrell, which is mounted on it's side so the pipe is over the opening. I had it necked down to a 3/4 in pvc valve over the barrel for flow control, and also the valve on the tank.

I had drained the sap last week from the caged tank and left that valve open (stupid), and the smaller pvc valve closed after draining the tank. more sap flowed in and froze in the 2 in pipe, which then broke off the smaller inside valve due to expansion I guess. I didn't fix it immediately thinking if it thawed it would just flow into the barrel. Well, I had to leave town for work for two days, and the temp went right and the sap flowed, and the pipe thawed. The sap overflowed the barrell, and I lost several gallons at least onto the floor of the sap shack. :cry:

So, is there somewhere to get stainless 2" pipe and valves, or would that blow out too? I haven't seen 2" copper anywhere, and that would cost as much as stainless probably these days.

I was a little concerned this would happen but didn't fix the ^*&% valve, thinking no way would we get that kind of flow off of the taps. The only good thing about this was when my wife called when I was away the first thing she said was "you were right, it thawed".

lesson learned. Keep the valves in good shape. close the tank valve before it freezes. drain the pipe.

sg5054
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
mcmaster carr.com should do it. ss pipe and fittings will not be cheap....

unc23win
02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't think stainless would be worth it. Just don't trap sap in there and give a chance to freeze.

lew
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Freezing water/sap will break just about anything. Keep the valve closed and nothing in the pipe. If using ball valves, the ball should also be void of any liquid or it too will burst. You can simply drill a hole through the ball so that it will empty if closing off the tank with a load in it.

Big_Eddy
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Clear Flexible hose, not hard pipe. You can see when it's empty and it will stretch a bit if some sap remains trapped.

FunnyFarm
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I had a line pumps from the bulk tank into the sugar house freeze up and blow last year lost a couple hundred gallons of sap. I went through and re plumbed and double clamped everything heat taped and insulated it. When it looks as if it can freeze up I plug it in...

maple flats
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
SS will not hold against freezing. Either be sure it is empty or use the flexible hose, maybe even 30P or like.

farmall h
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Heat tape is the way to go! Plug it in..no worries. I have to run heat tape on all piping in the sugar house...it is actually colder inside than out.:)

SevenCreeksSap
02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Good ideas, thats what I needed. Unfortunately for this year at least we still don't have power at our bush. I use a propane lantern and some solar for lights if I'm there at night, so heat tape may have to wait, but i can see that in the future.

I like the idea of the flexible hose. I have some 3/4 mainline hanging right there. Maybe narrow it down coming off the caged tank and still have both valves. Glad we didn't lose as much as some of you guys have.
Thanks