PDA

View Full Version : Sap is running

Darkhollow Sugar Bush
02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
The Trees were really running this afternoon.. Seems kind of early but i'll take it.

sweeteffinsyrup
02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
I was out clearing a tree line today and noticed the weeds (boxelders) sure were dripping after a cut. Got me anxious to tap. Looked at forecast and think I need to wait a couple weeks. Just started this last year with a pan over open flame, but suddenly I have a homemade evaporator, storage tank and transfer tank. What did you guys do to me?

jmayerl
02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Wow its crazy the difference a few hundred miles makes. Up here there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and the trees are froze solid yet. Probably 4 weeks yet unless we get a real long spell in the 40's.

Rhino
02-14-2013, 06:33 AM
jmayerl, It always is a funny thing how the trees act differently during the season within the area. Not only as far as what diff. producers get for snow and frost depth during the winter but also how their woods lays. I found out that even 90 miles from us makes a big difference. When i call a buddy and compare notes on how the trees ran for him alot of times he will have gotten a short run in the afternoon and we stayed froze up all day. I see you got 3' of snow on the ground, where are you located in Wis.? After the last few snowfalls we are at knee deep depths. Perfect for tapping as far as no snowshoes needed yet, and the atv's can still get around that i might not have to plow trails this year. Lots of winter left though it looks like. I would think with your snow depth, any frost you had (if you had any) will be pulled out with the insulation factor.

jmayerl
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm by shawano. Seems like we have got the brunt of every storm this year. 6 more inches overnite. Just walked in he woods and the snow is almost hip deep. This is More like what I see in the UP when snowmobiling.

Pete S
02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Here in western Sheboygan County, rural Plymouth WI I haven't checked but it would be pointless anyway as it's still purty cold here, and flippin' windy.

Yesterday wasn't too bad and the mercury was about 40*.

I'm just hoping we don't have what we did last year with an EARLY warm up, then cold then a short run before the real warm up.

I had a friend who said he did some mapling "back in the day' and said his father would go out in the woods just beofre the trees shoudl start to dun and snip off a few twigs. When the twigs would drip,...........time to tap!

jmayerl
02-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Just spent 5 hours plowing the 2 sugar bushes and the snow pack has gone down alot in the last few days since I was out there. Had to cut up 2big oaks that fell across the road. I was able to scrape up some dirt so the frost might not be that deep. I too do the twig cut thing and wait to see sap sickles in the back yard.