PDA

View Full Version : Critique my vac setup please

heus
02-12-2013, 08:36 AM
My water pump wont pump at any vac level over 12-14." I have tried two different pumps: a Goulds 2ST and this current Dayton Thermoplastic 1.5 hp pump.

Brian
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
What I would do is lift the releaser higher than the pump by 3 or 4 inches. This will make the pump fill with sap before the pump has to kick on. The next thing I would do is the line that goes to the top of the releaser is to reduce it down at the pump, run a piece of tubing up to where the check valve is located, but you must first remove the check valve. This way when the pump kicks on it will blow a little sap back to the releaser and help you prime your pump, this will allow you to use a little bit cheaper pump than a gould. Hope this helps you.

heus
02-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks Brian. I cant really go any higher with the releaser beacuse then my 3 mainlines coming in will be lower than the manifold. Your second suggestion sounds interesting. How about just removing the small check valve altogether? On another site it was suggested to simply reduce the equalization line down to 5/16" tubing and eliminate the check valve.

Brian
02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
If I were you I would get rid of the cam locks because they are leaks waiting to happen (suck air) and yes get rid of the small check valve. Taplin is my cousin and I showed him how. Also put in a ball valve above the big check valve, this way you can shut it to see if the check valve is holding or it is a front seal leaking. If the releaser is 1/2 full and if you see bubbles coming from the bottom, then shut the valve, if the bubbles stop you know it is the big check valve. The only way I got mine to work good is I had to raise my releaser above the pump. It would work for awhile then either fill the vac pump with sap or the ball inside would shut the vac off and every thing would be full of sap. Once I raised the releaser above the pump, no more trouble. good luck

heus
02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Ok I raised the releaser 4" higher. No difference.

WMF
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Pump releaser down to 25 inches then shut off vacuum pump and everything else that makes noise - dead quiet . Get on hands and knees and listen for gurgling hissing at every fitting and especially on pump. If shaft seal is leaking it is probably just stuck to shaft and a quick teardown and reassembly usually fixes it for the year.

heus
02-13-2013, 05:04 AM
You can hear air in the entire system like when you fill a tire. Is that normal?

OldManMaple
02-13-2013, 06:45 AM
My releaser has the Gould 1ST pump and runs @ 26-27". I also have the percolating noise. I re taped my fittings a few times and can't find a leak. I think it is recirculating through the pump and not introducing new air. I was going to try a spring check to see if I got a better seal. There is no reason that Gould pump shouldn't work. How are you going to get you sap up the hill? I Would get this one working if you can.

heus
02-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Right now its pumping into a tank next to pumphouse. I then have to use a gas pump to pump it up the hill to the sugarhouse.

Brian
02-13-2013, 12:17 PM
No there should be no air noise, you have a leak some place. Wish I was closer to help you. I went through the same thing about ten year ago and it makes you want to pull your hair out.

farmall h
02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Hmmm, I have a mechanical releaser but after looking at your picture, is your releaser cover gasket sealed properly? Your cam-lok fittings look new...they should be fine as long as the gaskets are seated properly. Your check valve in the correct direction (white one) there should be an arrow for the direction of flow. same with the bronze check valve (although the bronze valves don't hold vacuum well). Just my .02 cents.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
02-14-2013, 05:01 AM
On my Airblo electric belly releaser, I have an even smaller equalizer line, like 1/4" clear vinyl. There is not a check valve. Also, it does not atatch to the pump discharge line, it plumbs in to a small port on the top of the pump next to the discharge line, although I don't know if that will make a difference. I have had the rubber gasket in the camlock fittings leak air and cause the pump to loose prime. I always make sure the pump is full of water before the vacuum is started, otherwise it will not prime. As stated, the pump should be lower then the releaser. If you had heavy wall clear tubing for the pump suction line, you could see through it and see if it is sucking air through the pump. You may be able to look down into the releaser through the top also with water in it, and see if there are bubbles.