PDA

View Full Version : Air in tubing

hicks road
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I recently set up a 20 tap pipe line with 5/16 on a fairly steep incline, we had a fairly warm day to get the sap running a bit and i noticed looking at it that there is alot of air in the lines and seems to be restricting the flow, did i do something wrong or is the sap just not running enough?

5050racing
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I think that's normal but maybe you have to many taps on 5/16? I don't know much just play with this as a hobby I have 8 trees on 5/16 with 12 taps and collected 9 gallons last flow,but today was only 3 gal,to much cold and not enough sun today,Tomorrow should be different I hope??

DrTimPerkins
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I recently set up a 20 tap pipe line with 5/16 on a fairly steep incline, we had a fairly warm day to get the sap running a bit and i noticed looking at it that there is alot of air in the lines and seems to be restricting the flow, did i do something wrong or is the sap just not running enough?

Whenever the tree is exuding sap, it is also producing gas (mostly air that is slightly enriched in CO2). It is not restricting the flow. The fact that you have a tight system will make the sap run slowly through the lines. That is normal. DO NOT VENT YOUR LINES. It'll make the sap run faster through the line, but it will reduce your sap yield considerably (33-50%).

Etown Maple Syrup
02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks Doc, I noticed gas bubbles in my tubing today as well.

SeanD
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Last year (my first with tubing) I had what I thought was a normal amount of air in my lines, but in the end I realized I had been too gentle putting the spout onto the check valve. I gave each spout the tiniest little kiss or two with the hammer and got that "click" sound of the two fittings joining. After that, the air bubbles decreased dramatically.

Sean

adk1
02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
yeah those CV's take alittle geting used to. Some say very gentle with them..some say bang them in there. Last year my first year and I use CV's. I would tap the CV in the tree till I would hear a thud. then attache the stubby turning it into the CV spout. then I would give one more light tap on the back of the stubby for insurance