PDA

View Full Version : RO Expansion Idea Parallel and series

MillbrookMaple
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Please bear with me for a long intro. I am looking for some input on an expansion project for our RO. Right now I have a 600 gph Echo chem RO with a Mark E8 Membrane. The feed pump and high pressure pumps are rated to handle at least 2-3 more Membranes. I have found membrane vessels that would work with the E8 but I have not found a way to easily add the motor impeller part found on top of the vessels. I think it is called the recirculation pump. I know the purpose of this motor is to keep the liquid moving inside the membrane so that it does clog as easy and I've noticed that it definitely helps improve production when running. First question can you run a membrane without the recirculation pump and just expect a lower gph? Second question has to do with the flow with multiple membranes. Normal configuration has all the membranes running parallel with each other. I was thinking of running 2 or 3 membranes in parallel without recirculation pumps. Then have the concentrate run through my current vessel with the circulation pump essentially being in series with the other vessels. I figured that to get enough flow for the last membrane I would need at least 2 membranes if not 3 feeding it concentrate. My though would be that the first 2 or 3 membranes would take my sap to around 6-8 % and the vessel with the recirc pump would take the sap to around 12% Does anyone think that this might work?

Mark
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
I have a 1200 gallon per hour Ecochem and I built a frame to add on. Built two more vessels to bring it up to four. When I built the vessels I had a machine shop make 4 heads from stainless and have the aluminum ones for standby. I am just finishing up adding the second pressure pump. I also cut the vessel bottoms off and welded on 40 more inches for two membranes per vessel to bring it up to 8 membranes. I mounted the vessels horizontally on the back of the machine.

I am not exactly sure which one you have. When I get done in a few days I will take a few pictures for you. My website has pictures of the machine with the center two vessels I built and added on frame. That is how I ran it the last few years.

Mark
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I have about a week of work into lengthening of the vessels, building a rack and changing the plumbing. I also added a second high pressure pump. I should be able to do 2400 gallons an hour to 18 brix or somewhere in that range. I originally started out with a 2 membrane machine and am now up to 8.

Mark
02-12-2013, 08:02 AM
This is a picture of the RO after the first expansion. The left frame and middle ro vessels are home built.