PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Hopkinton?

SeanD
02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Got the day off from school, so I decided to use it to tap. It was supposed to get into the 40s despite the drizzle.

Went out at noon when it got to 38. First tree - oldest and biggest - two dry holes. Went to the youngest tree that typically gets a little more sun. Put in one tap and it was dry.

Decided to hold off on tapping more. These trees aren't woken up, yet.

Went out at 4 p.m., just ticked up to 39 degrees. Two out of the three taps have about 2 tbs of sap in the drops. The other tap is still dry.

Looks like this short warm up is not the beginning of the season here.

Back to watching the forecast.

Sean

foursapssyrup
02-11-2013, 08:28 PM
keep an eye on those taps! ours were running very well, this should be a good week for a first run. hope all is well with you and your family!

wcproctor
02-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Hi (Big) Kids we haven't taped here yet , I'm kinder in a hard spot I'm leaving for vac on Sunday and no one to pick up sap so it looks like it will be when I get back. It's killing me . I hope you all have a good season and ill check in with you both after. Good luck

Tithis
02-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Still too cold around here. I have plenty of trees this year and the forecast looked promising so I drilled a couple of test holes. Not quite dry, but certainly not ready for tapping yet.

Got my stuff ready though, the current forecast shows some potential, especially if it brightens up.

SeanD
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
It only got down to 34 here last night so they ran. The two taps on the big tree filled the tubing and right down the mainline (85 feet) where it was just starting to drip when I left this morning. Blew it again!

I'm going to race home after work and tap the rest of the tubing at least. The forecast has just been modified upward for the rest of this week and the sun is very strong. I might leave the buckets until after the cold snap next week - unless that changes too!

Sean