PDA

View Full Version : Great Start in Monroe County

BtownmapleIN
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Put in 10 taps on Saturday (2/9) at about 2pm and by 4pm the next day we had about 25 gallons of sap. My 5 year old son was so excited. Will likely start the first boil of the year tomorrow night.

ericjeeper
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the group. The block arch is a good upgrade from the turkey fryer. How big of pan have you found?

BtownmapleIN
02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
ericjeeper - thanks I have really enjoyed reading the posts over the last 18 months - I have learned a lot. Last year was my first year and we ended up with a little over a gallon of finished syrup. I have been very excited to get this year started.

As for my arch - I am using three 18x10 buffet pans. The arch didn't work as well as I would like as the wind really hindered my efforts. I am going to reconfigure my set up this weekend to get it out of the wind. I have a half completed (at least under roof) lean to that I was going to use as my sugar house this year. So hopefully after this weekend I will be running closer to what I had hoped for.

On the up-side I just finished half a gallon of syrup tonight and it is a beautiful site (and mighty tasty as well). I see that you are in Martinsville, I am actually in the far northern part of Monroe Country near Morgan Monroe State Forest.