PDA

View Full Version : Welder Breaker size,,,Help needed

TerryEspo
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Hello Everyone: My cheap China mig welder broke.

I want to install my Licoln welder and have no welding plug in my garage, now its time to put one in.

I am just not sure what size breaker I need , so I am posting my welder specs here with a link. can anyone tell me please what size break I need to purchase for my panel.
I am not sure if I buy a breaker oversized or not. I also need to know what size (amp ) female plug for my plug in box is needed?

(http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/K2473-1/e724.pdf

More infor...

Input Power 208/230/1/60

Rated Output 130A/17V/30%
130A/20V/30%

Input Current 20A

Output Range 30-180A DC

Solid Wire Size Range .025-.035 in.

Cored Wire Size Range .030-.045 in.

Wire Feed Speed Range 50-500

Dimensions (H x W x D) 14 in x 10.15 in x 18.6 in (357 mm x 258 mm x 472 mm)
Net Weight 66.500 lbs (30.164 kg)
Thank-you so much.

Terry

TerryEspo
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I had an electrician come over today to look at everything, panel box, welder, wire I had to use as the cord etc. He will be getting back to me with the list as to what I need. I will leave the post up and post what he says in case anybody else needs to refer to this again.

Terry

Mike R.
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
That is a very nice welding machine. Are you using the flux core or the shielding gas?

pjsweet
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I am an electrician and don't want to step on anyones toes, the way I read the info it is going to be a 20 amp 240 volt plug installed to power your welder. It is a 2 pole 20 amp breaker to a plug ( with number 12/2 wire) and a 20amp 240volt plug to plug your unit into. If the unit draws 20 amp then you need to up grade to 30amp 240volt or #10 wire. I hope this helps.

TerryEspo
02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi Mike and PJ......

Thanks Mike for the compliment. My friend suggested I buy that machine while he worked at Liquid Air. I moved 2 yrs ago and never had a plug since, soon now I hope.

PJ, thanks for the input, your not stepping on any toes at all, I appreciate anything you have to say.

I am waiting for the guy that was here today to call with the "list" of what I need. I do have 10/3 wire, lots of it (40 ft.) from my brother for free and hope that is useable, pretty sure it is. I hope it is, I connected it today from the box (outside) to where the plug will be going. It sad to look at the wire not connected on either end, lol.

Mike, think there was a chance of sap today ? Temps were above freezing all day. I just finnshed supper and may go for a walk in the back to check a hole I drilled a few weeks ago. I will freak it is is dripping !!

Thanks again Guys !!

Terry

tritorun
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I slightly disagree with PJS. I am an electrician in Ontario and the rules for breaker and wire sizes are the same here but i read the specs as the input current is 20amps and you are not supposed to run a known load at more than 80% of the breaker rating. If you run the welder for any length of time at 20 amps then the breaker will trip. to do it right and not have the breaker tripping durign the welding you will need the 30A #10 wire that PJS suggested. if you go tho the Hardware store ask for the dryer cable it is the size you need.

tritorun
02-11-2013, 05:54 PM
sorry i just noticed that you have the 10/3 cable. I guess it has been a while since I logged in. The site reset my history to me being a new user!

Mike R.
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Mike, think there was a chance of sap today ? Temps were above freezing all day. I just finnshed supper and may go for a walk in the back to check a hole I drilled a few weeks ago. I will freak it is is dripping !!

Terry

I doubt that it will be running today. Soon enough though. The long range shows it to be below freezing up into March. My guess is I will tap about March 6 or 7, if the weather warms above freezing and stays there for awhile. The sap usually doesn't run in weather like this, unless on vacuum. I might throw out a tap around 2nd of March just to be sure I don't miss the first run on the season but that all depends on the weather.

TerryEspo
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
MIKE,,,,MIKE,,,,,,OMG,,,went to the back where I have one tap and a drop line connected,I have it tied into a circle knot,,,YES,YES,,,there was sap in it. Sucked on the tube even to be sure,,,sap it was. BUT, I am not sure when it dripped. I have not checked it in over a week at least.

I am shocked.

Terry

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I slightly disagree with PJS. I am an electrician in Ontario and the rules for breaker and wire sizes are the same here but i read the specs as the input current is 20amps and you are not supposed to run a known load at more than 80% of the breaker rating. If you run the welder for any length of time at 20 amps then the breaker will trip. to do it right and not have the breaker tripping durign the welding you will need the 30A #10 wire that PJS suggested. if you go tho the Hardware store ask for the dryer cable it is the size you need.

I would even possibly go to #8 for conductor size stay with the 30A 2P Breaker. But I over build my stuff, like above post I hate breaker trips.
P.S. a 30A 2P GE breaker will not trip when electrocuting a rat and boy do they scream.

TerryEspo
02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Tritorun and Flat Lander,,,thanks for that.

Tritorun, great to know I have a friend here who is Ontario Electrical Code knowledgeable electrician.

ESA is not easy to keep up to date with.

I will put a 30 amp breaker for sure.

But, hopefully my 10/3 wire is o.k. to use with that.

I think I will call the electricion in the a.m. and get the ball boiling,,,oops, I mean rolling !!:lol:

Terry

Mike R.
02-11-2013, 06:23 PM
MIKE,,,,MIKE,,,,,,OMG,,,went to the back where I have one tap and a drop line connected,I have it tied into a circle knot,,,YES,YES,,,there was sap in it. Sucked on the tube even to be sure,,,sap it was. BUT, I am not sure when it dripped. I have not checked it in over a week at least.

I am shocked.

Terry

That is really good news. I guess you will be checking it every day now!!!

pjsweet
02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Terryespo,
As I mentioned in my first post, I believe that the specs given from the manufacturer were what was required for the unit. Should that be what it actually draws then you will need to upgrade to a #10 wiring as I stated in my previous post. This is to address any questions to my first post of what the electrical requirements for this unit are and I hope this helps you.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Tritorun and Flat Lander,,,thanks for that.

Tritorun, great to know I have a friend here who is Ontario Electrical Code knowledgeable electrician.

ESA is not easy to keep up to date with.

I will put a 30 amp breaker for sure.

But, hopefully my 10/3 wire is o.k. to use with that.

I think I will call the electricion in the a.m. and get the ball boiling,,,oops, I mean rolling !!:lol:

Terry
you'll be fine with the #10

TerryEspo
02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi PJ,,,,yes, I will be useing 10/3 and a 30 amp breaker.

I just want to verify with the electrician tomorrow a.m. that all is well.
I hope to have it connected up by tomorrow eve.

If so, I can finnish my unit and get a darn door on it !!

Thanks to everyone with your information.

Terry

TerryEspo
02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Welder is up and running !!

Nice to have friends that are helpul when your stumped !!

Thanks all.

Terry