PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in Maynard

MaynardMaple
02-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Put in 25 taps on Friday. Have 375+ more to do and will work on it Monday, 2/12/13. Use Leader check valve adapter.

tuckermtn
02-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Where in Maynard? I grew up on Red Acre Rd. in Stow. Back property line was Maynard town line. We tapped 3 sugars in front yard.

Just Enough
02-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Hey there,

It's Mac in Maynard... I think I know who tapped during the storm... (since there's just two of us in Maynard, as far as I know...)

He's got a bunch of tree scattered all over the north side of town. I've just put in 19 taps around Thomson and Walnut St (urban tapper). I don't put in as many, but I try to only tap big trees. My champion, that I just tapped yesterday afternoon, gave me 10 gallons from two taps already!... Oiy! Need to get the barrels cleaned out!

I just got a (real) pan, a 2x4 drop-flue hybrid from Smoky Lake. (His delivery guy tried to come last Friday, through the teeth of Nor'easter NEMO!... Good thing he stopped in Albany, instead!) Looks pretty fine! We'll see how well it boils... Gotta be worlds better than the restaurant pans I was using before.

I've got about half my taps in Norway maple this time. I'll let you know how they taste... I'm keeping that sap separate until I can boil a separate batch, just to make sure...

A beautiful week coming up! Good luck to all!

Mac

ejmaple
02-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Just Enough, don't be scared of the Norway maple they are the closest equal to the sugar maple, in respect to volume and sugar %. I tap a few road side norways always produce well.

Run Forest Run!
02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Mac, don't waste your time separating the sap from your Norway maples. They are perfectly fine to tap. I was thrilled with mine last year so go for it!

Just Enough
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, thanks for the Norway info, it's reassuring. Just back from tapping a few more. It's a fine day for it!

Mac

Tithis
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
My first year I did almost entirely Norway maples and the syrup came out perfectly fine. Of course I'd rather chop one down than tap one, but thats not always an option ;)