PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum System for Small Producer (100-200 Taps)

DonMcJr
02-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Just curious if there is a System sold for someone who is small but wants to tinker with Vacuum?

With the Discovery of new Maples at the Back of my woods I know I can now hit 100 Taps next year and I would like to tinker with vacuum.

Can anyone point me in a direction? I am going to read my NA Maple Producers Manual Tonight about Vacuum.

Thanks!

mike first timer
02-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Watch ebay and get yourself a bender realeaser and a fast 1550 vacuum pump.i think they are probably good for 200 taps.i will let you know how they work i am trying this setup this year.

DonMcJr
02-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks Mike. I am kinda wondering about New Equipment though that is made for Sap... for a small guy.

lastwoodsman
02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Ck out my you tube video and see the setup I put together last yr.
It worked very well for up to 500 taps although I only had about 150 on it last yr.
Woodsman

markct
02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
For that many taps i would be looking for a Zero tank, thats the simplest way and cheapest if you can find one.

Starting Small
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Woodsman- Is the container with the tennis ball in it your moisture trap? If so did that come with the bender releaser? Was the releaser new? Is there a make and model I can look for it on ebay? I could not find one on ebay when I looked.

Sounds like you have $480 total in this. I was thinking about the Guzzler sap sucker for next year but this seems like it would hold up more taps and is less money, why wouldn't everyone do this? Thanks and nice setup!
-Dave

unc23win
02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Don If your looking for new equipment for vacuum for a smaller operation you might want to check out the AirTech Vacuum Pumps and the Hobby Extractor/Releaser. The pumps are like $670 brand new and the releaser is $600. http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=35 You would also want a moisture trap. Another option is to buy a used vacuum pump some can be found for $300. the only downside is they are used and most old dairy pumps can't pull 27hg. There is thread about the Hobby Releaser.

DonMcJr
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
I like that... $1300... whats the moisture trap? Im a pipefitter/plumber maybe I can make it.

mike first timer
02-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Yes you can make it all you have to do is get a house water filter and put a raquet ball in it.

lastwoodsman
02-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Don
Yes that is right around 500 for everything. You could buy commercial nothing the matter with that. It will cost more. The cost of the benders have gone up so much that if I were to do it today I would buy a Lapierre releaser and probably stay with the vacuum pump I put together.
Good luck as there are a lot of options.

unc23win
02-11-2013, 07:19 AM
You for sure can make the moisture trap. I didn't have time to mess around so I bought the one from the maple guys. If I didn't have as many taps as I do I would do the hobby relaser and the airtech pump but I am making the move to vacuum with 1500 taps. Gettign electric was my challenge that I solved last season.