PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 brick ?

maple dayes
02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
have a 2 x 6 leader patriot raised flue, just put 1 inch arch board up against the tin. wondering if we should finish off with 1/2 brick or should we use full brick

tstew
02-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I would recommend full brick. Just use half or cut an angle on the full on the top row to let the heat get to the edges of the pan. Full will keep the heat off the metal on the outside of the arch better. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Schiefe4
02-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I know with my drop flue it was recommended to use 1/2 brick, but I agree with tstew if it fits it would provide better heat resistance.

Bucket Head
02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
The archboard is now providing the insulation against heat loss and heating up your arch sides. The bricks are only protecting the insulation from damage when firing with the wood. Half bricks would be fine. I used half bricks, that way I was'nt reducing the size of my firebox more than I had to.

Steve

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-12-2013, 04:37 AM
The archboard is now providing the insulation against heat loss and heating up your arch sides. The bricks are only protecting the insulation from damage when firing with the wood. Half bricks would be fine. I used half bricks, that way I was'nt reducing the size of my firebox more than I had to.

Steve
What bucket head said

Tucker08
02-12-2013, 05:03 AM
I just did the exact setup with mine. Call 1/2 bricks are what you want. That arch board is thick and the fire box Gould get really small with fulls. Also your grates would not fit in width wise. Leader sent me their new directions for bricking while using the arch board. They are great. Call Swanton and ask for Carl. He will send them to you. The directions call for a. Few full bricks and almost all 1/2 bricks. Pm me and I will send you the directions if I still have them.