PDA

View Full Version : Float switch for turning on a centrifugal pump?

mrnorthshore
02-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone, I am looking at getting some type of tank float hooked up to my gould 220v 3/4 hp centrifugal pump. Right now I walk down to the bottom of my hill (about 400 ft) and check the level of sap ( 435 gallon bulk tank) and if it needs to be pumped I turn on a switch and pump for 30-45 min then shut off the pump. Is there any kind of float that I can put in the tank that will turn on the pump before the tank overflows. I have looked online but there are so many different floats and most dont look like they would work for what I need. Any help would be wonderful!! Thanks
Paul

Bill'sSugarShack
02-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Would think any sump pump type float switch could be made to work..

JAMIE
02-10-2013, 07:20 AM
If your worried that the float may not be able to handle the starting current of the pump i would rig up a small magnetic starter for the pump and put the float switch in the mag starter holding coil circuit to energyize the pump.You should be able to find a small single phase magnetic starter in your area,even something used.If set up like this it would last for years and be very reliable.

delivron
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
The Maple Guys have Lapierre Electric Tank Controls for 24, 36, 48, 54, and 60 inch deep tanks as well as a universal float.
Page 53 in the 2013 catalog. Catalog is available on line at www.elapierre.com http://sugaringequipment.elapierre.com/down/275.pdf