PDA

View Full Version : Food grade identification for newbies

Run Forest Run!
02-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Being relatively new to the whole maple syrup thing, I sometimes can't remember what markings to look for on containers to make sure they are food grade. I found this small chart with a cute rhyme on it to help me. I'm going to print it off and keep it with me when I'm on the scout for sap storage containers.

Maybe it will come in handy for a few of you too. Click on the image and you'll be able to see it in a larger format.

jmayerl
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
It's not that simple at all. A quick check under my kitchen sink showed 3 nasty cleaners in containers marked Pete, and hdpe.

Run Forest Run!
02-09-2013, 07:12 PM
It's not that simple at all. A quick check under my kitchen sink showed 3 nasty cleaners in containers marked Pete, and hdpe.

Thanks for your reply jmayerl as I definitely should have been more specific with my post. I was referring to when I go out to Lowes or Home Depot etc and look for new plastic containers to purchase. Not used containers that could have held god knows what before I repurpose them for sap.

Would my chart would be OK to use as a reference for buying new containers?

SeanD
02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Those numbers might be okay for incidental contact, but not for food liquid that will be concentrated in the boil. You can only be safe if the container specifically says that it is food grade or if you know specifically what was in it before.

For example, the white Lowe's buckets have a sign that says it is food grade/FDA approved, but the orange Home Depot bucket is not. I have 55 gallon barrels that don't have any marking on them, but I know they held sesame oil or crushed tomatoes.

It's good that you asked, first. We all did at one point or another. Some folks on this site are really militant about this topic and have little patience for the discussion. Don't take it to heart if they jump down your throat. They are just trying to keep everyone safe.

Do a search for "food grade" and you will find a bunch of old threads on the topic. Good luck.

Sean

Run Forest Run!
02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks so much for helping me Sean. When I am looking at a new container I will only buy it if it says Food Safe, Food Grade, NSF, FDA and/or USDA Approved. You've really put me on the right track as I start to collect the proper tools for this fun hobby.

TerryEspo
02-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Some containers have an international symbol I think, too.
It is a fork and spoon molded right into the plastic.
My collection barrels have those on it.

Hope that helps.

Terry

Run Forest Run!
02-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank-you Terry. That's a huge help as well. :)

happy thoughts
02-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks so much for helping me Sean. When I am looking at a new container I will only buy it if it says Food Safe, Food Grade, NSF, FDA and/or USDA Approved. You've really put me on the right track as I start to collect the proper tools for this fun hobby.

You may not see those on the container but may have to call the manufacturer. It is only recently that I have seen containers so marked. Two identical containers made of the same material may have different ratings for food worthiness and neither may be marked for allowable use. As I understand it, it is also the dyes and mold releasers used in any particular product that separates food safe containers from those that are not. Also, how the product is used is also important, particularly the temps of the product going into the container. Just because something is rated food safe at room temp does not mean it will be safe at temps that exceed the containers rating or means it can be heated in a microwave, for example.

Run Forest Run!
02-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I'll remember all that as well when I'm on the hunt. I can't think of too many other things more important than being safe when it comes to food. Many thanks.