PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tapping with clear Poly adapters?

doocat
02-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I am on the fence about tapping. No check valves this year we are trying the clear poly reducers instead. Anyone tapping early without check valves this year?

Craig

tuckermtn
02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
we are also not using CVs this year. Clear polycarbonate Lapierre reducers. We might put some taps in this week, which is technically "early" for us. We average Feb. 20th for tapping the last 5 years. Ben Fisk, from Ben's Sugar Shack, is also putting out clear reducers this year, and he started tapping last few days of January. He has 10,000 taps I think at this point.

Mark-NH
02-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Why not use the cv taps?

G.Rainville
02-09-2013, 08:24 PM
We are using D&G's clear 110' disposable spout. I"ve put in 400 so far, they work great.Next year i may try some ,spout with the same angle but,; translucent ang have larger ID with the same OD.

Moonlitemaple
02-09-2013, 08:35 PM
I am using both the lapierre clear poly carb spout adapters and the cdl smart spout. The smart spouts in my opion are the best on the market.

Turtlecreek
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm using the lapierre clear spouts to hang buckets on this year. I like them so far, I haven't had any fall out yet so it looks good for now. I like the fact that they are small and easier to carry around than my old metal ones. Its also kinda nice to see the sap fill the tap then start to drip.

Homestead Maple
02-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I see that Steve Childs research using CDL clear on a new drop vs new clear spout on an old drop didn't show any difference in yield for the season. Has anyone seen or heard any results from using the Maxflow alcohol chamber or any of the other taps that use an alcohol cup or chamber to store the tap? I wonder how long the alcohol stays in there before it evaporates? Steve shows some results for some used sanitized check valves boiled at 300 degrees in vegetable oil vs new check valves but even though the boiled spouts showed more yield the results where not conclusive because the runs were not consistent. Seems as though buying the alcohol cups and refreshing the alcohol from season to season wouldn't be cost effective and labor intensive in some respects.

DrTimPerkins
02-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Has anyone seen or heard any results from using the Maxflow alcohol chamber or any of the other taps that use an alcohol cup or chamber to store the tap?

You won't find ANY research results for those spouts/cup combinations used with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) because there are NONE. From what I've heard, they intend to start testing this spring, however that will be with new spouts. You'll have to wait until after the 2014 season until any research results come out on spouts that have been used, then cleaned with IPA in this way. Secondly, it is unclear whether IPA is legal to use in this manner in the U.S.

ennismaple
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
We're using CV's on 3700+ taps on old tubing (2-10 yrs) and Lapierre clear seasonal spouts on our brand new tubing. With any new spout I woiuldn't hesitate to tap now if the weather and your time permits!

doocat
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Half in Half to go next couple of days...

Homestead Maple
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
You won't find ANY research results for those spouts/cup combinations used with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) because there are NONE. From what I've heard, they intend to start testing this spring, however that will be with new spouts. You'll have to wait until after the 2014 season until any research results come out on spouts that have been used, then cleaned with IPA in this way. Secondly, it is unclear whether IPA is legal to use in this manner in the U.S.
I forgot about the fact that the IPA might not be legal. Seems as though I heard something about it a couple years ago not being legal. It's surprising how many different taps there are available this season and they are basically untested but people are giving something a try that is untested.